You may remember that quality issues caused the Atom-based clamshell to be recalled last month, which is why I don't have the review unit that was scheduled to arrive a few weeks ago, and that a US release was on shaky ground. Worrisome, sure, but don't write off the device just yet! There's some promising bits of info in the list below.
All of the following information comes from a meeting with UMID.
- Improved shell has smoother lines and a smaller battery that doesn't protrude as much. Note: Original casing shown above.
- Release date in Australia and Hong Kong, the first to get the device outside of Korea, has been pushed back to May (conservative estimate).
- US release is still unknown.
- Model without HSDPA will be released before model with HSDPA.
- Fewer white units will be available than black units.
- All models will ship with Linux (in English); XP drivers will be available for download.
- Units come as they are: no upgrades.
- 1-year global warranty included.
Pricing hasn't been finalized yet, but you might want to keep an eye on the product page at Justek if you're thinking of ordering one. Are you?