Novatec supply shortages are said to be the reason that HTC began using Epson displays, and which one is better seems to be a matter of personal opinion and preference. Some believe Novatecs are better because of their warmth and brightness, while others like Epsons because of their coolness and accuracy.
It's a matter of taste, really, and the difference is something you notice only when you have two EVOs sitting in front of you to compare them side-by-side.
Even so, you still might like to know which company is responsible for the screen you look at all day on your EVO. Lucky for you, it's incredibly easy to do.
There are two ways to check it: using a widget or using an app. Both are fast and free.
- Add the preinstalled Power Control widget to your home screen.
- Tap the brightness button. If the screen brightness fades into the next level, it's a Novatec display. If the brightness instantly switches to the next level, it's an Epson display.
- Download Android Terminal Emulator from Android Market.
- Launch the app.
- Type dmesg and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Email the results to yourself by tapping the EVO's Menu key and "Email to" from the options that appear.
- In your email, do a search (Ctrl + F) for novatec and/or epson. Whichever one is found is the display you have.
I have a Novatec screen on my EVO (hardware version 003). What do you have on yours?