The highly anticipated Microsoft Surface tablet has gone up for preorder. The device will start at $499 for the 32GB version, but you’ll be able to add a black Touch Cover for an additional $100. The 64GB version, meanwhile, comes with the Touch Cover by default and will cost $699. A number of accessories are available as well.
Additional Touch Covers will be available in five different colors, including black, magenta, cyan, and red. Each one is priced at $119.99. Or, optionally, you can go with a black Type Cover for $129.99.
Microsoft has also supplied us with the full specs for Surface with Windows RT. Surface with Windows 8 Pro, as previously announced, won’t be available for about 90 days.
- Software – Surface with Windows RT comes with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (which includes Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote)
- Exterior – 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37 inches, 1.5 pounds, VaporMg casing, dark titanium color, volume and power buttons
- Storage – 32 GB ; 64 GB
- CPU – NVIDIA T30, 2 GB of RAM
- Wireless – Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0 technology
- Cameras – Two 720p HD cameras, front- and rear-facing
- Audio – Two microphones, stereo speakers
- Ports – Full-size USB 2.0, microSDXC card slot, headset jack, HD video out port, cover port
- Sensors – Ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass
- Power Supply – 24W power supply
- Warranty – One-year limited hardware warranty
- Apps (included) – Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote), Windows Mail and Windows Messaging, SkyDrive, Windows Internet Explorer 10, Bing, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and Xbox Games
The Surface is now available for preorder from Microsoft.com, and it will be released on October 26 alongside Windows 8. For a look at how Microsoft designed the Surface, check out the behind-the-scenes video below.
Update: The 32GB version of the Surface without the Touch Cover appears to have been sold out. The Microsoft Store website is now showing a delay of about three weeks.