T-Mobile’s latest UNcarrier announcement has certainly raised a few eyebrows, as the carrier now provides unlimited international data roaming at 2G speeds in over 100 countries across the world, along with unlimited texting to US numbers while abroad. Making and receiving calls abroad in these countries now only costs $0.20, too. Regardless of your opinion of the announcement, some people have become a little concerned over this line in the fine print: “Calls over Wi-Fi are $.20/min; texts over Wi-Fi are $.20 each.” Is this suddenly the end of free WiFi calling and texting?
While forums and comment sections across the internet are full of people worried about this line, don’t worry: nothing is changing here. Calls and texts back to the US over WiFi while abroad will still be free. T-Mobile is only talking about calls and texts to foreign countries over WiFi while abroad.
Don’t believe me? Need some more reassurance? Check out this official support document on the T-Mobile website. Specifically, read this section carefully:
Wi-Fi Calling and Messaging Impacts
- Incoming Wi-Fi calls are $0.00
- Wi-Fi calls back to the U.S. are $0.00
- Wi-Fi calls placed while outside the U.S. to a destination on the Simple Global Country List is $0.20 only
- Wi-Fi calls placed while outside the U.S. to a destination not on the Simple Global Country List incur $0.20 plus Wi-Fi toll charges.
- No charge for incoming messages while on Wi-Fi
It really couldn’t be clearer. So, to recap, while traveling in any of the over 100 countries on the Simple Global Country List:
- Text messages to and from US numbers are free, whether you are on WiFi or using a foreign mobile network.
- Text messages to non-US numbers cost $0.20, whether you are on WiFi or using a foreign mobile network.
- Text messages from non-US numbers are free, whether you are on WiFi or using a foreign mobile network.
- Calls to US numbers are free on WiFi.
- Calls to US numbers are $0.20 when using a foreign mobile network.
- Calls to any country on the Simple Global Country list are $0.20, whether you are on WiFi or using a foreign mobile network.
- Data is free, period.
It’s pretty simple, but hopefully this clears up any confusion.