A friend of ours came over this weekend, which is how I learned to not give a baby an iPhone 6. While this might sound like good and solid advice at any time, my little 20 month old girl walked over, grabbed my friend’s iPhone 6 off a coffee table while nobody was paying attention, and a minute later when the device was retrieved, the phone was off and didn’t seem to want to come on.
When it finally turned on, it had been factory reset, which it shouldn’t have been able to by accident. Even entering the incorrect PIN multiple times should have simply disabled the phone and required pairing to a trusted computer based on what I’m reading. Basically it acted like the HTC One M8 on Verizon initially did.
The only factor that we can figure is that this iPhone 6 had never been synced to a computer, and therefore when it hit the maximum number of incorrect PIN entries, realizing there was no next step for security to take, it killed itself. Not having one on hand, and not particularly wanting to redo the friend’s phone again, it’s a bit difficult to say for sure.
What followed was maybe forty minutes to an hour of downloading and installing backups, a couple of lost text messages that didn’t matter, and a little under half a battery.
What should have happened when little baby paws attacked a phone still might require you to access a computer or reset the phone, which over the holidays with people hundreds of miles away from that clunker at home they have iTunes on could prove to be incredibly problematic.
While I can’t reproduce this issue until someone loans me an iPhone, the fact that my daughter did it in under a minute of wandering around the house trying to talk on the phone is a bit scary for how many headaches this has the potential of causing.
And in general, it’s probably best to keep these things out of little hands, I’m just writing this as a warning that not only can they get dirty and cracked by vicious angry babies, they can also evidently be factory reset fairly easily (or alternately my friend has a bad iPhone 6 that just happened to die in the hands of my daughter).