t-mobile-logo

Starting several weeks ago, I started having problems sending and receiving MMS messages on my Google Nexus 6 by Motorola, on T-Mobile. I noticed this especially on group texts, where messages would come several hours (or days) late, or drastically out of order. People complained of not getting my messages at all. I complained of people not responding to me (even though they had).

The main culprit, it seemed, was that these problems only occurred when I was connected to WiFi. It didn’t matter if WiFi calling was on or off, and it didn’t matter if VoLTE was on or off (these are often offered as culprits, but it just didn’t matter in my particular situation). As soon as I would disconnect from WiFi, everything would function again.

Not willing to give up the great battery savings I enjoy when connected to WiFi, I decided to try and come up with a solution – and it seems the solution was much easier than I thought it would be.

After several hours of phone calls to T-Mobile tech support, digging around in forums, and trying various things, this is what worked: adding two digits to my APN settings. When accessing my Access Point Names, I chose the default (fast.t-mobile.com, often called “T-Mobile GPRS” in the APN list), scrolled down to MMS port (which was blank), and changed it to 80. I saved it, and deleted all other unnecessary APNs (the ones for Metro PCS, Simple Mobile, Tracfone, etc.).

I did notice another APN, named “T-Mobile MMS.” I changed the MMS port there to 80, as well, but not everyone will have this particular APN setting. If you don’t, don’t worry about it. If you do, go ahead and change it.

Voila! My MMS troubles have disappeared. I’m not sure why T-Mobile doesn’t push an update out to fix everyone’s APN settings, if this is really all it takes … but in any case, I’m golden now. If you’re experiencing the same thing, try this and let us know if it works out for you!