Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default Nokia 950 XL

Today I pre ordered the Nokia 950 XL
Device Lust! Pure and simple.
To be honest, I have been floundering since I retired the Dell Streak 5".
The DS 5, I ran for an incredible 39 months.
In the 2 years Since then I have bought the Nexus 5, Nokia 1520 (my favorite), The Fire phone, a 7" tablet, a Nokia 635, a laptop, a Samsung Gear S, and a Note 3. All of them for me, not including a massive number of mid and high end devices for the family.
I sold the Nexus 5, The Fire Phone, and last week I sold the Note 3.

Looking forward, I want Continuum. I found I now want my full PC in my pocket, when I am on a job. My phone used to be a toy, now I want more of a tool.

And that is it. I enjoyed Windows Phone more than Android. I was going to wait for a Surface Phone, but want to support WP now. With no guarantee of Surface Phone, My Nokia 1520 was Great, seems like a no brainer to buy the 950XL.

Anybody else?
Old 11-26-2015, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Nokia 950 XL

Got it, delivered last night. I didn't even pay for express shipping and I still got it on day 1.
I will play with it for a few days and write a review.
Stay tuned.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Lets face it, plastic phone backs are thin and flimsy. So is this one.
With the back cover removed, the build looks like the 820, and the 635, just larger.
I never opened up the 1520, but this 950 XL is smaller.

Button placement is just plain Stupid! a small power button, set closely between two smaller Volume buttons. Even harder to find and press in the ruberized case it immediatly went into.
NO DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE! Bummer! Did this feature infringe on LG or some other license holder? Rumour says it may come in a later update.

A dual SIM device, I am stuck with a NO SIM Icon as one of my slots is empty.

Been using the device off and on for the last 15 hrs, more than a typical day, at 35% battery now.
Interupted by a call, as I type,(on my tablet) idle chit chat, 17 mins, 31%.
I have Glance screen always on (It turns off if the screen is covered) I have a background photo, and an app running text (Lock Screen Text, showing "Reward for return, call...")

I still have a lot if things to setup and try, working on some important things first.
Setup Gmail. Outlook took it, combined the apps, I still have seperate Inboxes, etc...but I only have the single Live Tile with count vs separate Tiles with induvidual inbox counts.

Out of the Box, Bluetooth SMS to Voice, did not work as before. After enabling everthing I could find, I finally had to enable Cortana, and let it "Get to Know Me", before it started talking to me over BT. Interupt Music, "You have a text from...do you want to read it or ignore? Read It. OK...You can say Reply, or I'm done..." (I could not get this to work consistently on Android)

The Windows 10 "settings" layout is a little different from 8.1. Maybe more settings, maybe more confusing, sub pages. I got used to the simplified layout after Windows Mobile of old went away. My Samsung Note 3 and 4 have a confusing easy to get lost in Setting page, once again Windows Phone follows suit with a similar confusing category, sub menu, sub menu, layout.

More to come...
Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Finally got the display dock setup.
Long story...
Maybe tomorrow. Going to bed now.
Anybody else pickup either the 950 or 950 XL?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Administrator

I have totally been avoiding the phone. A couple of bad experiences and I am questioning spending soo much money. Hoping things start to improve, Or I learn how to make my experience better.
Using the dock now, with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Layed back in an easy chair, keyboard on my lap, mouse on the arm, monitor a few feet away on the coffee table. Power cord strung across the room!
First thing I tried to do, administer the forum. The problem I was having, I couldnt do anything with the web page, scroll, refresh or back out until the adds completed loading. And that took a VERY LONG TIME!!! It was soo frustrating, I stopped, and will try to complete another way.
My next task is to import and modify my "office" files. (Then show them to a customer, ON SITE!)
The dock itself is a cool looking device, a small metal, heavy square. Could probably be stuck to the back of the monitor to reduce the profile.
Speaking of profile, using a wired mouse and keyboard was just too much. Since I have a nice Microsoft Wedge, BT keyboard and spare wireless mouse, why not use it. Check out the pics to see the two different setup. I forgot to install the dongle for the mouse in the wireless photo.
I had 2 spare monitors in the garage, but neither one had a useable input. The adapter I finally found in a local store, fit DVI-D to HDMI. The new monitor on the PC nobody uses had the correct input. So I took it.(I looked at several adapter options, none of them were local, and of the several that were local, I could only work with one, I had to go to 2 stores to find it in stock, when the website said it was in stock at both)
Everything seems fast and responsive using the dock, after the adds are all set.
I assume this is a problem with the new Browser.
What I dont like, the phone screen stays on all the time to use as a touch pad, or multitask. (You can use the phone independently of what is on the monitor screen) But when I try to "sleep" the phone screen, the monitor shuts off too.
No sound, DVI input does not support it, not sure if this monitor has speakers anyway.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Wired accessories with Continuum dock...
https://db.tt/IY9sCrQq
"Wireless" accessories with continuum dock.
https://db.tt/kuEP8OUJ
Old 12-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Administrator

This is my new "Work" space.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/biu5e7vyhb...35332.jpg?dl=0

The phone is held in my homemade car mount, suction cupped to the table glass. As the device cannot be turned off, I figured it might be useful to have a steady track pad available. You can also use the device as normal, independent of what is on the screen...Sofar.
My new Sony SBH54 BT Receiver, is laying on top of the display dock. Without the ear buds I can use the device as a remote handset for the phone. I will test that soon.
The mouse and keyboard both land on my lap in the easy chair, eventually (not shown.)
What you don't see is an ashtray, as yet again I try to quit cigs. Doing better everyday.
You also don't see my tablet, because I feel guilty with my "hoard" of "toys" splayed out in front of me. I am trying to commit to using the tablet less and the monitor more, but the slowness imposed from the loading adds, has me looking for a solution, and the poor scroll page response, is frustrating. Also the scroll wheel on the mouse does not work (on mine)

Last edited by JRDEMASKUS; 12-10-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I am still not embracing the phone (like I did the 1520) and monitor setup. Mostly because the tablet is soo easy.(ASUS ME572C)
I was able to complete and send my latest batch of invoices, however, I was not able to plug in an older printer to the dock. Time to consider a home network or other solution. I could print from the cloud, using my PC, but again that defeats a purpose.

I have no complaints about the hardware, phone or dock, but the software needs some tweaks.
Microsoft seems to like to start over every few years. Each new version, while still the same, seems NEW, and is missing features, vs. an update to the existing version. (Just ask those with devices that were left behind, looking at you 6.5x and 7.5x) The best way to experience new Windows OS is with a new device.

Tap to wake is missing. Maybe it will come in a future update.

I have to wake the device to adjust the volume. With my Android, I only had to press the volume button while the device was asleep in my pocket or cubby in the car. If I am using BT, I set the phone volumes to max, before I put the device away, then control vol. with the BT device.

I am not a battery cop, but I have not had any issues. I am not playing on my phone if I need it to last.
I have a charge pack if needed.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Updates are coming fairly fast. I have already gotten 2, not including several core apps that have been separated from the OS to quickly receive their own updates.
Looking at the announcement for the new HP Windows Phone doesn't help cure my buyers remorse. But with a 3rd quarter(?) release and an expected high price tag, maybe I didn't do too bad with the 950XL.