Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Zealot

Question Dell Mini for $180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Congratz, on your new Dell Mini 9, jhoff80!

WOW, only $180??.... Just checked Dell's site and cheapest I see is $249....how did you get one at $180????

That's a deal....I should pickup one at that price and make a Hackintosh out of it....
This probably should be something I post in the Dell forum instead, but since you asked here:

It's refurbished (and I've had very good experiences with Dell refurbished products in the past). Also, I got the Ubuntu version, which doesn't matter to me, because I have spare Windows keys anyway, or the W7 beta if I can manage to shrink it to 4GB( That'll probably get upgraded anyway eventually). I've got a 16GB USB flash drive too that I might borrow a friend's still unused Leopard disc and experiment with OS X on.

And a few times now Dell has had sales on their brand new ones. Presidents Day and last Thursday I think it was, they had $50 off the brand new Ubuntu ones.

Though again, I highly suggest the Dell Outlet ( www.delloutlet.com ) which also on rare occasions has coupons (sometimes posted at www.twitter.com/delloutlet among other places). Their stock changes literally by the minute, but the one they seem to have the most of there is a $239 1GB RAM/8GB SSD/1.3 MP webcam/ XP model. Other than that, seeing cheaper is based on just checking at the right time (check around midnight-ish to 2am Eastern time).

Here's the link to check the Mini 9's availability there:
http://www.dell.com/content/products...=22&l=en&s=dfh

Edit: And also, you have to be very quick. The cheaper ones and the Ubuntu ones tend to go really quickly, since a lot of people getting those are ones that want to do a hackintosh install like you mentioned. Though if anyone's reading this right this second, there's a $179 512MB/4GB SSD Ubuntu one that's even a new but previously ordered one that'll be gone in a minute or two.

Edit2: And 30 seconds later that one is gone.

Last edited by Jenn; 03-03-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Started new thread for this discussion
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Zealot

Default Re: Dell Mini for $180

I had a feeling this would probably end up here.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Zealot

Thumbs up Re: Dell Mini for $180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Congratz, on your new Dell Mini 9, jhoff80!

WOW, only $180??.... Just checked Dell's site and cheapest I see is $249....how did you get one at $180????

That's a deal....I should pickup one at that price and make a Hackintosh out of it....
This probably should be something I post in the Dell forum instead, but since you asked here:

It's refurbished (and I've had very good experiences with Dell refurbished products in the past). Also, I got the Ubuntu version, which doesn't matter to me, because I have spare Windows keys anyway, or the W7 beta if I can manage to shrink it to 4GB( That'll probably get upgraded anyway eventually). I've got a 16GB USB flash drive too that I might borrow a friend's still unused Leopard disc and experiment with OS X on.

And a few times now Dell has had sales on their brand new ones. Presidents Day and last Thursday I think it was, they had $50 off the brand new Ubuntu ones.

Though again, I highly suggest the Dell Outlet ( www.delloutlet.com ) which also on rare occasions has coupons (sometimes posted at www.twitter.com/delloutlet among other places). Their stock changes literally by the minute, but the one they seem to have the most of there is a $239 1GB RAM/8GB SSD/1.3 MP webcam/ XP model. Other than that, seeing cheaper is based on just checking at the right time (check around midnight-ish to 2am Eastern time).

Here's the link to check the Mini 9's availability there:
http://www.dell.com/content/products...=22&l=en&s=dfh

Edit: And also, you have to be very quick. The cheaper ones and the Ubuntu ones tend to go really quickly, since a lot of people getting those are ones that want to do a hackintosh install like you mentioned. Though if anyone's reading this right this second, there's a $179 512MB/4GB SSD Ubuntu one that's even a new but previously ordered one that'll be gone in a minute or two.

Edit2: And 30 seconds later that one is gone.
Thanks so much for the detailed info, jhoff80....very helpful! Will probably keep my eyes out for one of those good deals....

Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

I had a Mini 9 with the same config. You're going to love it.

Aside from the slow SSD, the mini 9 is a about as good as it gets. I, occasionally, regret selling mine.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Zealot

Smile Re: Dell Mini for $180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I had a Mini 9 with the same config. You're going to love it.

Aside from the slow SSD, the mini 9 is a about as good as it gets. I, occasionally, regret selling mine.
Sounds good, Nate...only thing for me is that I just bought a D4 last Friday and it's on it's way now....

So, on the one hand it's very tempting to get a lil' Mini 9 given such a low price, but then I wonder what would I really use it for?

Since I already have a MacBook C2D, P1610, HTC Advantage X7501, and now the D4....seems a bit crazy....but then it might be fun to have a lil' Hackintosh.....
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Zealot

Prices like that really make it tough to resist. And I'm not even a netbook fan!

Keep us updated on how it works out for you, jhoff.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Zealot

Smile Re: Dell Mini for $180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Prices like that really make it tough to resist. And I'm not even a netbook fan!
You got that right, Jenn....I was really tempted last nite to go for one....but resisted the urge....

As Jenn says, will be interesting to hear how it goes for you jhoff.....
Old 03-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Zealot

Damn, since when does Fedex Home deliver on Saturdays? Apparently the note they left says they deliver Tuesday through Saturday now.

If I'd known that it would be arriving today (Dell's site still says shipped, but that the tracking number is temporarily unavailable) then I'd have been home waiting for it.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Zealot

Also, for the record, it looks like the prices for refurbished Minis are mostly up to the $200 range. I've seen one or two late at night for $180-190 but they're very rare.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Obsessed

This is my second post on my Dell Mini with OS X, and I am just loving it, see pg1 and 2 in this thread (yeah a bit OT to be there I know) http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?t=2235 for some of my experiences and comments, and what netbooks I've had before!

I bought a white one (as the Apple owner and a little bit fan, not that close minded as some on the subject) which are a bit more than black (even new) for $219 it came to $245 at my door. So it's white w/4GB SSD and 512M RAM, I got a Super Talent 32GB SSD for it, though they are among the slowest around, it was the fastest to get a hold of though (availability and shipping that is), I have Runcore 32SSD coming from overseas and 2GB RAM coming too.

I am using it right now with the original 512M and it is running incredibly well on so little RAM and OS X (which I always thought wanted plenty of RAM? I'm still somewhat new to OS X).

As for the HW I just love it a lot, the keyboard takes some getting used to, keys are almost large when used to EEEs but quiet and smooth keyboard compared to the EEEs also. All in all this is one of the most refined netbooks I've tried, though I've only had ASUS ones, I have played plenty with most of the ones you can find in most stores HP, Acer etc etc. Since Dells aren't to be found too much I had to try to buy it

Few things I might change if I could, not so glossy screen, a key or two should be at different place, and multi touch mouse pad! With OS X you really miss it, especially since I've had it on two of my EEEs already.

All in all though for the $390 or so total (computer+Runcore 32GB+2GB RAM) I have to say I am VERY VERY PLEASED. Oh ok yeah I had previously bought the Leopard Family Pack retail SW, since most of our Macs were bought when they came with Tiger, so I am not adding that to the cost.

Either way I am more pleased than I have been with any device for the longest time, including those that costed many times more like OQO 02, yeah like the fact that this Dell is 100% silent very much unlike the OQOs. The EEEs aren't that silent either when you actually use them.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Obsessed

On the DELL refurb outlet they are great to deal with the products are nice, and unlike some (read Apple) they actually have decent discounts on their refurbished outlet. Though honestly the Mini 9s start at only $249 now new so. I have also bought from Dell refurbished before several times, I have two of their 24" monitor that I've had a couple of years soon, work just perfectly.

Oh yeah I had this 20lb Dell "laptop" too once while I had my last OQO too, David and Goliath LOL: http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncateg.../bignsmall.jpg

Yeah that's my pic..
Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Zealot

@ EC: Completely off topic, but are you running into a text limit in your posts? I ask because of your tendency to make two consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
@ EC: Completely off topic, but are you running into a text limit in your posts? I ask because of your tendency to make two consecutive posts in the same thread.
Nah it's more a question of brain limit I could go back and edit the post rather yes but many times I have a completely unrelated thought I come upon afterwards and what not
Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Obsessed

Did you guys know that there is an updated keyboard?? I'm tempted to get one!

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/repl...mal-t1402.html