Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Curious

Default Confused about modem - U820 and Win7

(Was using a U810 with WinXP, but now am on U820 with Win7. It's really important to me that I'm able to do DUN (tethering) of my old phone, like I used to do.)

When I go to set up a new internet connection, it hides the Dial-Up Modem option. It lets me unhide it but then later it says there's a problem with my modem adapter. So I go into Device Manager and I see no entry for Modems. I'm thinking the modem isn't recognized because I don't have the Win7 driver installed? I tried looking for drivers on the Fujitsu site and elsewhere. I am so confused.

It's 32-bit Win 7. I saw some other people puzzling over how to get a dial-up modem driver in their Win 7 but most of them had 64-bit. (I'm not using GPS at all, I am clueless on that too, I don't think I have the GPS drivers installed on here. I don't want to use WWAN at all either.)

Help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Confused about modem - U820 and Win7

don't confuse GPS - navigation - with GPRS which is GSM. From the perspective of windows, there's not much difference between GPRS (2G), EDGE (2.5G), 3G and 3.5G, the presentation of the device is largely the same, only the string send to the modem is different.

note that they're not actually modems really, they emulate a classic modem device, but the data is carried in data slots just as your speech is digitised, and the data connection is made by the cellular carrier's equipment.
if you use a phone as a mobile fax modem, again it works the same way and the cellular carrier makes a fax call on your behalf.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Curious

Ok, my point is, how do I make it dial/connect? I saw other people say they couldn't get it working in Win7 because they couldn't find drivers. Some people found some for 64-bit and I'm on 32-bit. I don't care about having an actual modem, but I want it to connect to my cell as a modem. I know how to sync and tether in Vista but can't tether in Win7. In Win 7 I can sync to the cell through USB (I could not get BT working).
Old 11-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Tech Curious

What cell phone do you use? Normally the USB drivers are made available by the manufacturer, not by Microsoft or shipped along with Windows. I know for a fact that I have to use different drivers for my Sony Ericsson and my Nokia phones.
Also, if you are having trouble with the default Microsoft Bluetooth stack in Win 7, which is a POS to be honest, try the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack instead. Never had a problem with that on Windows 7 and XP.
Make sure to download this version: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/bluetooth...wnload-toshiba
Even though it says it is strictly for Toshiba notebooks it will work without problems on the U810 and U820.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilJazz View Post
What cell phone do you use? Normally the USB drivers are made available by the manufacturer, not by Microsoft or shipped along with Windows. I know for a fact that I have to use different drivers for my Sony Ericsson and my Nokia phones.
Also, if you are having trouble with the default Microsoft Bluetooth stack in Win 7, which is a POS to be honest, try the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack instead. Never had a problem with that on Windows 7 and XP.
Make sure to download this version: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/bluetooth...wnload-toshiba
Even though it says it is strictly for Toshiba notebooks it will work without problems on the U810 and U820.
It's a Palm Treo 755p. I'm lost regarding setting it up with Win 7. I don't think I need anything Bluetooth related?

It's pretty easy with XP and Vista. Usually first I get it tethering and then you basically set up a network connection and tell the computer dial 777#, it's a dial-up modem. Well in my Win 7, I can get the phone tethering but I see nothing related to dial-up modems at all. Nowhere to enter a phone number or click connect. Nothing to even change settings for or drivers, like no greyed out dial-up modem. I don't know if I'm just missing something here, the person who did this Win 7 install may have decided to skip modem drivers?

It reminds me of this other unrelated computer issue I had (it's a known itunes issue, when you install itunes it screws with driver). It made my CD drive / DVD burner (built-in to my laptop) have wrong drivers and my computer acted like I had no CD drive anymore, after years of working. But with the right driver, then it was back and working fine.