Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Curious

Wink Debian Squeeze

Been lurking for awhile here and there on the forum. Just got Debian Squeeze up and running on the N5 and so far enjoying it. What is working so far;

Sound - Head phones only at this point, I am sure this is an alsa thing.

Video - used fbdev with the memory line added to grub to excluded needed memory range.

Mouse - used the well documented grub lines.

Wifi - works very well IF you download the firmware package through apt thats provided for this version of debian AND if you use the wpa_supplicant process. Nearly ALL the issues I have run into though are related to how the NM-Applet handles the usb wifi card. The applet can lock the machine even with wifi off completely IF there is say a usb drive plugged in or tethered phone in drive mode. It behaves if the phone is tethered and working as a connection though (tested for 21 hours so far). Get in the habit of pressing fn + s before shutting down and again after logging in when you want to use the wifi.

Media Mounting (code 1 nautilus error) - remove the cdrom line from the fstab and reboot.

I suggest font 14 for most of the options in preferences - makes the screen readable for the most part comfortably. Some pop ups get pesky but it seems to be a reasonable option most of the time,

3G - Havent tried as I tether a 4G G2 for the connection on the go.

Touchscreen - wasnt that good ubder windows so not really going to bother.

Bluetooth and gps - ectool enables them, will hash out latter.

Battery is seen as acpi and last about the same as windows did. Hotkeys work for the most part, the volume and brightness buttons when pressed with fn do there jobs BUT also moce the screen up or down too.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Curious

Default Re: Debian Squeeze

Any help getting the IDT audio to use the units external speakers would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Curious

Got first part of touchscreen working, grib info helped a lot. Looking for the button events now to get left and right click working. Found the Networking Applet to be the big issue with wifi lock up, remove it from start up and configure network options manually.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Curious

Hi nicodeimous, what kernel are you running? I have been trying to upgrade past the 2.6.39 kernel I have used for a while (successfully) but newer than 3.0 and I can't get suspend to work. Well, it suspends, but the display doesn't come back after resume. I assume this is related to the new psb_gfx driver in the kernel.

I don't think anyone has ever gotten the external speaker to work with Linux.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Tech Curious

Just an update, I installed Debian's 3.2.4 kernel and I can suspend and resume if I do it from a VT instead of an X session. So that's progress.

Still can't successfully use the wifi, but at least it just fails rather than hard-locking the device like it did before!