Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Tablets > Sony Tablet P

Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Zealot

Default How to make apps fill both screens on Sony Tablet P

Yes, Honeycomb has screen compatibility mode built-in and on the Tablet P those options are changed to "single screen" or "full screen" (i.e., spread across both screens), but that little icon in the system bar isn't available in all apps. Such apps instead have no choice but to stay on one screen only and either be centered against a black background or sometimes smashed to one side.

The workaround for this was originally discovered when the Galaxy Tab was released in 2010 (?), and the same old fix still works. There are variations to the directions floating around on the web, but this is how I've always done it (on HTC Flyer, EVO View, Dell Streak 7, and Galaxy Note) and what worked for me on the Tablet P.

HOW TO DO IT
  1. Download and install Spare Parts from the Market.
  2. Launch it (it will look terrible on the screen, regardless of the orientation or number of screens you're using), scroll down, and tap "Compatibility Mode" to uncheck it.
  3. Reboot the Tablet P.
Apps that previously failed to fill even one screen should now be spread across both.

Note that this isn't ideal for all apps and that sometimes the original "stuck on one screen surrounded by a black border" might look better. Scaling apps to full screen doesn't magically increase their native resolution, so image quality may be less crisp, more pixelated, etc.

HOW TO UNDO IT

If you don't like the results (I think it ends up overriding Honeycomb's compatibility mode), you can undo the change by going back into Spare Parts, tapping "Compatibility Mode" (this time to check it), and then rebooting. When the Tablet P boots back up, everything will be back to normal: Honeycomb's compatibility mode will be back and those few pesky apps that refused to take advantage of both screens will be back to their stubborn selves.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Fan

Default Re: How to make apps fill both screens on Sony Tablet P

Thanks for the undo section, Jenn. I was hoping that this tweak would produce different results than what it does, so you saved me a "how do you undo it?" post

Most apps I use can already make use of HC's screen compatibility function. Speedtest cannot. I don't need it to but was still hopeful. It's worse when stretched out so I'll live with it being on the lower screen only. It's funny that it doesn't show up on the top screen like all the other single screen apps.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Curious

thanks a lot I have just baughht one of these and was close to returning it as google play was only filling half the screen this tip works perfectly
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Yes, Honeycomb has screen compatibility mode built-in and on the android Tablet P those options are changed to "single screen" or "full screen" (i.e., spread across both screens), but that little icon in the system bar isn't available in all apps. Such apps instead have no choice but to stay on one screen only and either be centered against a black background or sometimes smashed to one side.

The workaround for this was originally discovered when the Galaxy Tab was released in 2010 (?), and the same old fix still works. There are variations to the directions floating around on the web, but this is how I've always done it (on HTC Flyer, EVO View, Dell Streak 7, and Galaxy Note) and what worked for me on the Tablet P.

HOW TO DO IT
  1. Download and install Spare Parts from the Market.
  2. Launch it (it will look terrible on the screen, regardless of the orientation or number of screens you're using), scroll down, and tap "Compatibility Mode" to uncheck it.
  3. Reboot the Tablet P.
Apps that previously failed to fill even one screen should now be spread across both.

Note that this isn't ideal for all apps and that sometimes the original "stuck on one screen surrounded by a black border" might look better. Scaling apps to full screen doesn't magically increase their native resolution, so image quality may be less crisp, more pixelated, etc.

HOW TO UNDO IT

If you don't like the results (I think it ends up overriding Honeycomb's compatibility mode), you can undo the change by going back into Spare Parts, tapping "Compatibility Mode" (this time to check it), and then rebooting. When the Tablet P boots back up, everything will be back to normal: Honeycomb's compatibility mode will be back and those few pesky apps that refused to take advantage of both screens will be back to their stubborn selves.

Thanks for this instruction.. So useful!

Last edited by jeffknowsfun; 03-21-2013 at 04:11 PM.