Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Curious

Default [hardware]

Hey, i just got a used evo 4g with a cracked screen, everything seems to work fine so far but ive noticed that if i take off the mid housing (which i need to in order to be able to replace the cracked screen) that one of the metal contacts in the set of the four contacts on the right is missing.

below is a url to a pic pointing to the gps/4g contact terminals. directly below those two terminals its pointing out is the set of four i'm talking about. Im missing the 3rd one down.

Does anyone have any idea what these terminals are for?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/h.../Terminals.jpg
Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: [hardware]

I seriously start suspecting they put them there to confound me. I've looked everywhere and I find one site that circles those to point them out and then doesn't tell what they are...
Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Fan

I believe xd-01 101217 on the red cover next to the speaker membrane is the GPS antenna. There should contacts to the GPS antenna. The antenna below that (also labeled xd-01...)on the side is probably either one of the cell radio antenna's or the wi-fi antenna. I'm guessing wi-fi. Don't know why there would be 4 contacts rather than only 2. Maybe there are different contacts for hot spot vs wi-fi. Have you looked for a tear-down on ifixit.com. Maybe they identify things there.

Last edited by RonD; 04-25-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Curious

I have 2 somewhat related questions:

1 - any tips on a good step-by-step on replacing the screen on an EVO 4G (as above)? And was this question resolved?

2 - My wife has finally dropped and shattered hers. I still have my original EVO, which she also dropped - this one into the Atlantic ocean, from which it never recovered. I saved it precisely for this reason - to have spare parts for when she smashed her own. My EVO died after exposure to about 3 ft of salt water, sand, and banging surf, but the screen appears perfectly intact. Any subtle reason why it would be no good to swap out?

thanks for any tips.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Fan

If it got wet, there is a good chance the touch screen won't work. That is one of the most water venerable components.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
If it got wet, there is a good chance the touch screen won't work. That is one of the most water venerable components.
crap. I was afraid of that. It got wet allright. Submersed. In salt water. I dried it out for days and it never turned back on again. Thanks for the tip. Dammit.