Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Fan

Default Gingerbread 2.3.3 (Olleh)

I realize this site is dead but thought I would throw in a quick review on the Korean released GB Rom for the Dell Streak 5.

I could not get Froyo 2.2.2 to work on my White Streak so I stumbled upon this site - http://techienetizen.blogspot.com/20...ll-streak.html - and gave it a go!

Everything went very smoothly and I was able to get Gingerbread running on my Streak in no time!

...Then a few days later my Streak started randomly rebooting or locking up. I finally gave up and did a factory reset.

So far it had been stable with a little snag yesterday, but it fixed itself as opposed to me having to take the battery out and put it back in.

Hopefully it will remain stable, otherwise I will have to figure out how to sacrifice Gingerbread for Froyo again.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Obsessed

Default Re: Gingerbread 2.3.3 (Olleh)

Have you tried CM7.02 on this thread: http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?t=10972 ?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Fan

Hmmm... I am always concerned about custom ROMs not being stable.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Zealot

Reasonable, but this is the most stable ROM I've ever used.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Fan

I will give it a few more days on the Olleh GB ROM mainly because after the factory reset it has worked like a charm.

I actually had more issues with the official Froyo 2.2.2 than this with exception to the freezes and reboots for 2.3.3 GB. In 2.2.2 my phone would FC almost all the time and my text messages would not always show the contact and photo.

The problems did not start until a few days later, so I will give it about another week and if there aren't any major lockup problems I am settled for now.

Thanks guys, I will keep this in mind.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

I have been on the Olleh 407 ROM for a few months now. No reboots or freezes.
My only issue is with the browser starting up. Takes several seconds if it was not running in the background. (All windows closed or force stopped)
Once in a while I go in and clear the cache, and it speeds up again.
Another thing to consider is the SMS character allotment is less and long SMS messages get turned into MMS messages. Not a problem for me, and there is a fix available if you want it at XDA.
Every body says this or that custom ROM is stable or runs well, till you read every comment and find there are indeed issues to overcome. Or after they switch to the next custom ROM they state how buggy the last one was. I just am not interested in chasing problems.
Good Luck, Enjoy
Peace
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Fan

Still getting freezes and reboots. It just froze on me last night and a few seconds ago, so I am not sure how to fix this.

Other than that everything works like a charm!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Zealot

If you go into streakmod, try the clear cache, dalvik and data.
reboot and go back into streakmod
factory reset from top menu

You'll have to set everything back up, but seems like you are used to that by now.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Technophile

For anyone having trouble getting root on this ROM - get Fastboot and StreakMod Recovery on your computer and follow the directions to flash (or re-flash) SMR. You'll also need to have the Superuser zip file loaded on your Streak's SD card before starting. After flashing, boot into SMR and flash Superuser. Reboot and enjoy root access.

JRDEMASKUS - I'm guessing the stock browser issues might have something to do with this ROM being developed for Korea. Fixing this probably requires re-setting the APN et al, and probably some editing of build.prop and other system files. I use Opera Mobile and love it, so I haven't bothered to try to fix this issue. Another possible fix is to root, remove the browser, and re-load it from the Play Store (Market). If it's not available there, you can probably find a .apk for the stock browser. If the .apk isn't the latest version, it should update once it's loaded.

I'm loving this ROM. It's been stable, solid, and snappy for me. I tried the CM7 ROM, but had issues that seemed unique to my Streak. Once I figured out how to root the Olleh ROM, I'm able to add apps that provide all the extra features that I need. I'm using the GO apps (launcher, task mgr, battery mgr, lockscreen) and my Streak again feels stable, fast, and unique - a combination I haven't had since DJ_Steve's Froyo ROM. Thanks to DJ_Steve, manii, koush, and all the other devs. I'm pretty sure their hard work was instrumental in the development of this potentially final "official" 407 ROM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

I wondered about the Korea connection too. Are they more restrictive, are there censorship issues? Are the settings and values the same for USA use?
I am mostly happy with the ROM overall. And I would recomend it to any patient user.
The browser takes awhile to start if it was closed, but the connection lag is on my end.
By walking in and out of AT+T network range, the device loses the connection. If it does not come right back, I toggle airplane mode. If that doesn't work, I restart the device.
I think I typed all that before, I seem to like to repeat myself.
Peace

Last edited by JRDEMASKUS; 05-08-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Content
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

I never enjoyed the Opera browser, gave it several tries, even on my WinMo devices too.
I use the Dolphin HD browser when I use the stock news and weather app. It starts up a little faster.
But I use the stock browser for most of my surfing, and the sites where I am logged in.
Peace
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Technophile

I wasn't thinking of Korean restrictions, just the possibility that the browser might have been routing you through a Korean server. Just tested my stock browser and it seems plenty speedy. Maybe another app is causing the issue.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I wondered about the routing too.
But what I blame more is the GB (407)ROM itself.
When I clear the browser cache, the startup delay is reduced. Does this ROM cache differently from previous versions? And again, it is only the initial browser startup that takes a few extra seconds. Unless I lost my connection and it didn't refresh properly (Nokia 900), which seems to happen more often with this ROM.
Of course this is only my perception. It might have been happening all along and I was finally able to nail down what was happening after I started using this ROM.
That probably says this ROM really good as that is my only issue.
I just started useing the music player for more than 6 1/2 hours at a time as opposed to 30 minutes at break. I use a stereo Bluetooth receiver, and the buttons control the stock player with no extra steps. I made a playlist that excludes music videos the stock player gets stopped on,But the play list doesn't seem to stick, and those videos keep coming up. Sometimes I can skip, other times I have to access my Streak and restart the playlist.
And shuffle sucks, keeps playing the same stuff, Party shuffle I assume doesn't repeat, but it cuts the beginning and ends, and if I restart the list as mentioned above, it plays the same stuff. I don't know if that has always been an issue. No, I am not interested in a 3rd party app. I have Rockplayer and Google music.
Peace
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Fan

I think I figured out the problem, still too early to tell... I installed a program called Gingerbreak in an effort to root my phone and it didn't work. I forgot to uninstall it until I found it again yesterday.

So far my phone has been very stable after many reboots/frrezes earlier in the day yesterday.

So here's hoping because I am happy if that was it!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Rebooted and freezes, nope, not here. Are you using a 3rd party launcher?
I had 2 weeks once where whenever I put down my Streak hard it would reboot. But I reseated the battery and door, and I never saw it again.
But I read a lot of posts that say they are having issues, and they always seem to be using a 3rd party launcher.
Hope it is working out for you now.
Peace