Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Microsoft Windows Devices > Windows - Laptops, Ultrabooks, Tablets & UMPCs > Retired UMPCs > Viliv > Viliv S5 > Viliv S5 Software

Viliv S5 Software CubeUI, operating systems, games, utilities, and other applications
*Please keep GPS software discussion in Viliv S5 Wireless forum*

Old 05-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Tech Obsessed

Default Pyplay - touch friendly music player

Hi,

because I was unhappy with all available music players on my Viliv S5, I decided to create my own.

It is written using PySide (Python binding for Qt) and QML (Animated touch friendly UI language by Nokia/Qt). The playback engine is MPlayer2.

The main features are following:
1) Big controls
2) Database management
3) Dynamic playlists
4) Supports both Linux and Windows

I worked on it during last few months. It's far from being complete, but I do believe it can be already useful for some people.

There are still many problems, some things don't work etc. It is the first SW I ever published so expect anything, it might eat your cat.

The most notable problems, which I know of, is problem with controlling volume. Replaygain support, is not working very good (a limitation of MPlayer) and also I have problems with controlling volume of MPlayer in slave mode. I would be very glad for any help in this area.

Also you can currently only play music, which is properly tagged and scanned into database.

You can download the Windows binary from http://www.mediafire.com/?bu6xfiz3d3ponfm. I plan to publish the source code under GPL license, but currently it is a big mess.

Please let me know what do you think about my player and what you think is currently the main drawback. For me it is the volume control, which I'm fighting with for more then 2 month without any success.

Last edited by jech; 05-03-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added screenshots
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Obsessed

Default Re: Pyplay - touch friendly music player

Although it seems that nobody is really interested in my player, I'll post a link to the project page at SourceForge.

I did some changes, switched to Phonon backend and added some new features. On Windows you will have to install the correct DirectShow filters to allow playback of different audio formats. I suggest using LAVFilters.

Now it works good enough for me. I would also like to add support for video and switch to GStreamer backend. But that probably won't happen in a near future.