Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Default HTC One announced - what do you think?

Well, now that we know more about the HTC One, anyone thinking of pulling the trigger?

http://www.pocketables.com/2013/02/h...were-true.html

Personally, I think the phone looks cool, but it's not enough. Too little, too late...I'm still more intrigued by the upcoming Moto X, or even the successor to the Nexus 4. It's simply not enough to get me to give up my EVO 4G LTE right away.

What do you all think?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: HTC One announced - what do you think?

considering I know what they do with the development community, unless the stock ROM on that phone kicks some major ass I'd steer clear.

Keep in mind that it's going to be a much lower resolution camera, and they're not going to release the source to the camera / drivers. So CM will look like poo.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to whatever Motorola has up its sleeves... or I might just wait for the next Nexus phone. I'm not sure yet... maybe I'll know more after Google I/O.

I don't see myself buying another HTC device, unfortunately. I've had a good run with the OG EVO, EVO 3D, and EVO 4G LTE, but I think it's time for me to move along.

I do have to say, however, that the CM camera is still pretty nice on the EVO 4G LTE, even though HTC never released the camera source and drivers. The main reason I switched back to Sense wasn't for the camera, but because Bluetooth audio sounded terrible and I couldn't figure out how to fix it.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think I'm done with HTC myself, even though the OG EVO was one of my first Android devices. The One X had interesting hardware and the software was good, but right now I'm interested in the latest Android version and the X Phone has me very intrigued.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator

It's kind of sad. I'd like to see more competition in the Android market, but it's almost turning into Samsung versus ... no one. Here's to hoping the Moto X Phone is all it's cracked up to be.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm actually starting to dislike Samsung more as they become more dominant. They make some great devices, sure, but I like to see variety not just with the Galaxy Tab 7, 7.7, 8, 9, 10, 10.1, and 11, but with completely different designs. I also don't like Samsung's software or build quality, which is one of the reasons that I'm quite glad Google chose LG for the Nexus 4. Of course, this is getting a bit off topic. Still, I think HTC is having a bit of trouble, and even though they've focused their efforts, things don't seem to be working.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Tech Obsessed

I currently own an HTC device, but while I really enjoy it, I'll probably be going with a different manufacturer next time. And based on the rest of the comments, I'm not alone. This doesn't really fare well for HTC, which is already struggling financially.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't care about their financial difficulties, I care about their inconsistency... they claim they embrace the root community, then lock the system down so you have to use them to root, don't keep the website up / let it be down for days at a time so people can't root, don't disclose kernel source until there's an uproar, have employees publicly making snide comments about people who point out any of the above, send lawyers in who don't understand what they're doing, and can't understand a simple issue and respond to it without creating more of an uproar.

It's like the American branch of HTC is run by people who have other jobs, don't deal with anything in the development community, and just check in occasionally to see if anything's exploded...
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildlydisturbed View Post
I don't care about their financial difficulties, I care about their inconsistency... they claim they embrace the root community, then lock the system down so you have to use them to root, don't keep the website up / let it be down for days at a time so people can't root, don't disclose kernel source until there's an uproar, have employees publicly making snide comments about people who point out any of the above, send lawyers in who don't understand what they're doing, and can't understand a simple issue and respond to it without creating more of an uproar.

It's like the American branch of HTC is run by people who have other jobs, don't deal with anything in the development community, and just check in occasionally to see if anything's exploded...
Unfortunately, the current behavior of HTC is probably due at least in part to their financial difficulties. Remember, the downturn actually started quite a while ago (shortly after the EVO 3D was released, I believe), which means that - as anyone who's worked for a big corporation knows - downsizes, budget cuts, etc. This means fewer people supporting more and more devices, which ultimately means poor support all around. It's a difficult rut to get out of, for sure.