Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 07-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Curious

Default Anyone use ting?

I'm one of the folks who's disappointed with how Sprint has a) charged for a virtually non-existent, or useless 4g network, b) upticked their prices for no real benefit. I just had my discount removed and they require a re-verification of the discount and contract extension before I get re-instated.

I'm looking at moving to Ting from Sprint. I can move my phones on my account easily enough, as Ting accepts sprint phones (but don't change the rom until you move) and in a few months, pay myself back for the ETF charges I'm expecting. I do already have one phone on Ting, so I'm not unfamiliar with the service....

Does anyone else have stories about their Evo's on Ting? Anything I should be concerned with before making the move? (Evo 4G LTE and HTC One.)
Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Anyone use ting?

The ETFs are the only things I'd be concerned about, especially since you say you have the HTC One? That's a fairly new phone, so the ETF is around $350, right?

Ting is cheap, but you really have to sit down and do the math to find out how long it will take you to make up the difference. If you save $25/month, for example, it will take you 14 months to recoup that $350 ETF. And that's assuming you want to stick with the same phone for that entire time.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Curious

I'm not really worried about the ETFs. If I was going to use Ting and coming from another provider, I'd have to buy a new phone anyways. Since I'm going from Sprint to Ting, I should be able to port these phones without a problem. I did run the numbers too... I'd save over $100 a month for the two phones now, especially without this discount.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeHeadNed View Post
I'm not really worried about the ETFs. If I was going to use Ting and coming from another provider, I'd have to buy a new phone anyways. Since I'm going from Sprint to Ting, I should be able to port these phones without a problem. I did run the numbers too... I'd save over $100 a month for the two phones now, especially without this discount.
So, it's been a couple weeks... Have you made the jump yet? If so, how are you liking Ting?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
So, it's been a couple weeks... Have you made the jump yet? If so, how are you liking Ting?
I was going to, but as it turns out, my wifes phone (HTC One) cannot be ported yet, where as mine (Evo 4G LTE) can. That means we have to get her a 'ting' HTC One, port her number, then port my phone/number, they sell her HTC One. (Apparently, they did ports of the HTC One and Samsung s4 to ting, but problems made them have to stop) That made it a bit harder to take. (Save $110/month, good. Spend $200(etf1)+$350(etf2)+$550(phone2)-$250(glyde sale)) I guess the $300 larger upfront bill and the inertia with selling the old phone means it'll take a bit longer for us to do.

My son's Evo 4g has been fine on ting at least, and at only $17/month, no complaints there.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:47 AM
Administrator

That stinks, and is a real hassle. I wonder what the problems were that prevented them from using your existing HTC One?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Curious

Apparently both the Samsung S4 and HTC One started in the BYOD Ting program, but they found problems occurring with some of them when converting them from Sprint ESN to Ting's ESN. You can buy both from Ting, so some folks think its just Spring denying access to make it harder to leave.

I'm not in that business, but I can imagine that the unique ESNs on those phones may be setup to give specific abilities in Sprint's network that other phones don't. But that's just speculation. They never said what the actual problems were, so it could be sprint routing needed for billing for all I know. (As opposed to actual features of the phone breaking)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Administrator

I think changing the ESN is illegal, too. Although I don't know how legal it would be to block one of their MVNOs from using phones that the customer legally paid for (through the ETF)...
Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

The fact that the Sprint HTC One can't be used does seem odd, though John is right that you can't change an ESN legally. However, obviously Ting has some process that is legal and works, so who knows why the HTC One doesn't work. In the past, I used to frequently flash Sprint and Verizon phones to MetroPCS, and never had any trouble. Then again, the shop that I went to for the ESN/Network related stuff was a little shady, and one of the devices I used had a bad ESN on Sprint. Anyways, Ting does seem like a very good deal, and is probably one of the cheapest carriers. I've considered switching myself, and my brother also uses the $17 plan.

Tags
sprint, ting