Old 06-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default Ubuntu for the Nexus 7

I'm just about to install both the Ubuntu Touch preview and Ubuntu 13.04 on my Nexus 7 per the instructions here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation, and just wanted to know if anyone else has experimented with Ubuntu on the Nexus 7, or has questions about how Ubuntu works on the tablet. As far as I know, the touch preview for the Nexus 7 should be moderately functional, with wireless and at least a couple of Ubuntu "apps." But I suppose I will find out soon enough.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Ubuntu for the Nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Orquia View Post
I'm just about to install both the Ubuntu Touch preview and Ubuntu 13.04 on my Nexus 7 per the instructions here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation, and just wanted to know if anyone else has experimented with Ubuntu on the Nexus 7, or has questions about how Ubuntu works on the tablet. As far as I know, the touch preview for the Nexus 7 should be moderately functional, with wireless and at least a couple of Ubuntu "apps." But I suppose I will find out soon enough.
So you bought a new Nexus? Congrats!

I haven't installed Ubuntu on mine, but I'll be really interested to hear how it goes for you. Maybe you can convince me!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I did finally cave, and I bought a Nexus 7 from eBay that wouldn't turn on but had a good digitizer and swapped the motherboards. The cost was $100, but depending on how much I get back for the remaining broken 16GB tablet, the repair might not cost much more than $40. Anyways, Ubuntu Touch for the Nexus 7 is actually surprisingly easy to install, but it is certainly not as complete as the Nexus 4 version. There are almost no apps, and essentially only the interface works. However, there is also a build of the desktop version of Ubuntu 13.04, which I'm quite interested in trying out.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

And now that the new Nexus 7 is getting more likely again, it looks like I'm going to be trying to sell my Nexus 7 within the next month. Still, I might as well try out Ubuntu and the like before I get rid of it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well, my Nexus 7 now won't turn on, so I have yet to try desktop Ubuntu. I think maybe this is just a sign to give up on the Nexus 7. Hopefully it is just a loose cable from the motherboard transfer.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Well, my Nexus 7 now won't turn on, so I have yet to try desktop Ubuntu. I think maybe this is just a sign to give up on the Nexus 7. Hopefully it is just a loose cable from the motherboard transfer.
So what's the 411? Did you get this fixed? Is Ubuntu running?

I swear, you have the worst luck with gadgets!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I ended up buying a new 16GB Nexus 7 from Office Depot, and transferring the 32GB motherboard there, and then doing some shuffling with the rest of the parts. Now, I have a working 32GB tablet, and fortunately enough, a working 16GB tablet. I also have a 16GB totally broken parts tablet, with a bad motherboard and display. However, after all that shuffling I still haven't gotten Ubuntu running. I will hopefully have time to check it out during July 4 week, but I also finally fixed my ChromeBook and am looking forward to messing with it, too.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I ended up buying a new 16GB Nexus 7 from Office Depot, and transferring the 32GB motherboard there, and then doing some shuffling with the rest of the parts. Now, I have a working 32GB tablet, and fortunately enough, a working 16GB tablet. I also have a 16GB totally broken parts tablet, with a bad motherboard and display. However, after all that shuffling I still haven't gotten Ubuntu running. I will hopefully have time to check it out during July 4 week, but I also finally fixed my ChromeBook and am looking forward to messing with it, too.
Things are starting to turn around in your life! Glad to hear about the Chromebook, too.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Curious

I had wanted to buy a Nexus 7 on amazon store but I still doubt whether it can be installed ubuntu, if you managed to install I would buy a Nexus 7 on amazon store for free shipping and affordable prices.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandaRiz View Post
I had wanted to buy a Nexus 7 on amazon store but I still doubt whether it can be installed ubuntu, if you managed to install I would buy a Nexus 7 on amazon store for free shipping and affordable prices.
A quick Google search turned up this link on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2628398

It looks like, up until January, Ubuntu Touch could only be installed on the first generation Nexus 7, but the 2013 version apparently has it up and running.

Good luck!