Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Other Platforms & Gadgets > Smartphones & Internet Devices

Smartphones & Internet Devices Android, Windows Phone 7, iPhone, Nokia Internet Tablets, Archos, and others

Old 12-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Technophile

Default Backing up my iPhone is taking WAY too long

Okay, I have Googled it and I see that since 2.2 backups are taking a long time.

BUT I am on hour 3 and this is just ridiculous. I am trying to do a restore and then apply my backup to see if it helps with all the issues I am having (when I answer a call, they can't hear me, after 1 min on Facebook have the items disappear, reduced battery life, when some call it is going straight to voicemail without ringing EVEN if I am not surfing the web)

I am on my 6th(?) iPhone and typically I put up with the occasional issue until they snowball and then I go to Apple and demand a replacement. I always restore the phone at least once because if you haven't, that is about the only advice they will give!

Just wanted to complain as I think this is too long! I just did a backup last week BUT I did get a few new apps and added some additional contacts so I wanted a fresh backup.

So, anyone who uses an iPhone what is your longest backup?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Backing up my iPhone is taking WAY too long

How many apps do you have installed?

And contacts, how many?

I have about 20-25 contacts on my iPhone 3G, plus about three pages of apps along with 8-10 GB of media. Mine takes just a few minutes to backup and sync, and has always worked perfectly, although it did take longer to backup with the original firmware. I know that was one issue that was supposed to have been fixed.

Also, do you reboot your phone before syncing? It *may* help, especially if you have a bunch of apps that are staying in RAM.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Technophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
How many apps do you have installed?

And contacts, how many?

I have about 20-25 contacts on my iPhone 3G, plus about three pages of apps along with 8-10 GB of media. Mine takes just a few minutes to backup and sync, and has always worked perfectly, although it did take longer to backup with the original firmware. I know that was one issue that was supposed to have been fixed.

Also, do you reboot your phone before syncing? It *may* help, especially if you have a bunch of apps that are staying in RAM.
I didn't reboot, but now that I am back from the Apple Store with a replacement I am on hour 4.5 in restoring the phone. I am just so pissed.

I finally stopped backing it up last night at 9:00pm because I had to make a call and didn't know the number and then restarted the backup. Now the restoration looks like it will take just as long.

Out of 7.1 GB I only have 1.5GB available, so I have a lot of stuff on my phone. I have three solid pages of apps so I am thinking I have just as many as you.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Zealot

That's a ridiculous amount of time, MathProf. I think the longest I've ever had to wait was about an hour, but that was a software upgrade and restore. I don't do it often (not even once a month), but from what I remember, normal backups and syncs don't take more than 15 minutes

Is the progress bar on the restoration moving?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Technophile

5.5 Gigs of data taking hours to backup and restore? Via what, 16K baud modem?

Since this problem seems to happen on multiple phones I doubt this is hardware based. It sounds like a serious problem somewhere in your restoration files. If I were you I would backup just essential contacts and start fresh without restoring your old software, just reinstalling applications one at a time and seeing what was causing the bottleneck.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Technophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
5.5 Gigs of data taking hours to backup and restore? Via what, 16K baud modem?

Since this problem seems to happen on multiple phones I doubt this is hardware based. It sounds like a serious problem somewhere in your restoration files. If I were you I would backup just essential contacts and start fresh without restoring your old software, just reinstalling applications one at a time and seeing what was causing the bottleneck.
No, I did that last time I had serious problems. I wiped off iTunes, reloaded it, and then started from scratch on the iPhone importing my contacts from Outlook and then reconfiguring all the email accounts by hand and syncing with iTunes to get the rest of it (pictures, music, applications, etc...).

You are giving good advice, I just know I did that last time (but that was pre-2.2).

The final count was 8.5 hours and it didn't even restore my applications or music. From now on I will just only load the contacts and start from scratch. Reconfiguring the email accounts is irratating, but that won't take me 8.5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Technophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
That's a ridiculous amount of time, MathProf. I think the longest I've ever had to wait was about an hour, but that was a software upgrade and restore. I don't do it often (not even once a month), but from what I remember, normal backups and syncs don't take more than 15 minutes

Is the progress bar on the restoration moving?
When it gets about 5 bars from the end it seems to stall. That is backing up and restoring. I was without my iPhone yesterday for 8.5 hours while it restored and it drove me crazy. I really wanted to yank the cord out, but I know that might have been REAL bad so I refrained.

I just won't do this ever again. I will start from scratch (as Zealot suggested) I just don't seem to have much luck with iPhones (even though I am addicted!)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Curious

hay....
i am having a same issue i have done my restores (as my iphone is not charging when i connect it to my pc) and now i am restoring my iphone and it shows i have to wait another 5 long hours till it will complete and the bars shows its already 40% complete so totally it will take 8 hours this is crappp....what should i do with it.... stay it conected so that it will go on ???
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Curious

mine went overnight (12 hours) and only backed up about halfway ... i am sooooo frustrated ... this happened yesterday and about 3 weeks ago i deleted all of my apps except for 4 ... don't know what else to do
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Technophile

^^^ once I started from scratch I have never had another issue on the 4 phones I have had since then.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathProfJohnson View Post
^^^ once I started from scratch I have never had another issue on the 4 phones I have had since then.
Wow...4 phones in less than 6 months....can you spell t-e-c-h addiction ?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Tech Curious

Oh dear, I am absolutely of the same opinion. I had an iPhone, but I gave it away in order to buy a BlackBerry, because I was totally uncomfortable and unhappy with my iPhone. It was a total mess, even more than me, and that means a lot. My BlackBerry, to my luck, takes half the time my iPhone took for backing up and that eases my soul a little bit. I hate to wait. For anything.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Tech Curious

If you use iTunes backups, there is only one backup (the latest) maintained per device at any point in time. So in this case the new backup overwrote the older backup, and it would be possible to recover only if a copy of Library/Application Support/Mobile Sync/Backup/ was made before the clean install (through Time Machine or any other solution), restoring that folder on the system and doing a restore from iTunes.

You can see the device backups (with the timestamps) available in iTunes by going to iTunes-Preferences and then navigating to the Devices tab.

Some recommendations and points to note to avoid such a situation and have something to fall back to:

You can have multiple backups in iCloud for a device and choose which backup to restore from (assuming there are no device/iOS compatibility issues).
Use both iCloud and iTunes backups together (once iCloud backup is turned on, automatic backups in iTunes would be turned off; so a manual backup would have to be triggered in iTunes).

When using iTunes backup, trigger a manual backup in iTunes followed by a manual backup in Time Machine before major changes to a device, like re-installing iOS or jailbreaking or restoring iPhone from previous backup.

You can know more from here:
http://www.iphone-android-recovery.com/

Last edited by Emanuelien; 03-22-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Curious

You would have to use the backup to get them back on your phone. The only other way is google how to transfer data to your computer by a third party app or program.

Last edited by WEGATE; 07-22-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Curious

If it takes you long time to back up your iPhone, that is because your iDevice storage is too large, so I think you need to transfer your data to another place.Otherwise, some cache may be larger and large and some data you want to save may be erased. However, when you wanna save time in backing up, you can try three methods which iPhone Data Recovery can guide you restore many kinds of data on your iPhone.