Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Default Tasker 4.2 discussion

As I imagine most know, update 4.2 will be all about scenes, and is now in beta on the Tasker site. List up feature in the beta is here:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/changes/nextversion.html

Like with all Tasker betas the documentation will be lacking until it's complete, so the magical ?-icon won't help you. I've explored a bit and it's fairly intuitive for experienced users, so I thought we could get a thread together and discuss the upcoming changes.

My personal favorite part of the update, other than fixing those pesky scene destroy crashes, is definitely this:
  • menu scene elements: accept (scene) local vars when specifying a var to fill contents

Basically meaning no more Global Var/local array jumping. It will simplify anything that uses the Menu element so much, and I've already started planning a complete rewrite of my todo list app because of it. No need to jump to Vars, no need to hide elements to emulate empty lists, etc.

Also excited about the new scene properties, especially the tabs. I do hope we get more options when it comes to those, as the whole If condition based approach with %tap_label you now need to do is a bit weird, but hey, it works.

So, anyone else excited? Got anything planned?

Last edited by Andreas; 08-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Android Developer

Default Re: Tasker 4.2 scene discussion

As expected, I'm really digging the plugin enhancements myself!

First there's synchronous action plugins. This means that an action plugin has the option to make Tasker wait until it's done executing and can even return local variables.
This will make AutoAlarm much simpler for example, because you can just setup the action and use the AutoAlarm variables right away in the next action inside the same Task. You don't even need the AutoAlarm condition anymore.

Then you have the "Relevant variables" a plugin can set. This will make all of the plugins' variables appear in the Tasker UI, which means no more hand-writting stupid stuff like "%avcommnofilter", and best of all, no more memorizing variable names!

This last part isn't working yet, but I've reported it to Pent and I think he'll be able to resolve it soon!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Curious

Default Re: Tasker 4.2 discussion

I'm still new to Tasker, but now that I know there are new features, I give them a try. I read your article on scenes and can't wait to try them out.

Dan
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Curious

I like the picture element in the scene now being able to take a variable value as default, no more having to set the image to an "Image Buffer" for the element and then having to do a "Load Image" action whenever i wanted to change it. Very slow.

Now i can just have it set to a variable or array, in my case %ImageArray(%CurrentValue) then just setting the value of %CurrentValue changes the image. SO MUCH faster and simpler than the old way.

My new scene still seems slow but i'm pretty sure that is my Galaxy Nexus and it's small 1GB of RAM and 4.2.1 OS keeping this running SLOWLY....Wonder when sprint will push that 4.3 update, if ever.... ;/
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Curious

I have been using Tasker for a few months and have learned a huge chunk of it from this site. (hats off to you Andreas for your continued hard work and dedication to Tasker!)

I have plans to install a home automation system here shortly and am looking forward to seeing what new types of scenes i can develop as a manual remote control for my house. I'm also working on learning adobe illustrator at the same time so that I can implement original artwork into the scenes to give it an eye candy as well as functional effect.

One thing that i would like to see added to scenes (but I'm not holding my breath that it will happen) is a way for scenes to have a special effect appearance (similar to how objects can fly in or out in powerpoint) While they serve no real functional value, it would be nice to see scenes pop in, spiral out, etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

One thing I've noticed with this update is that the inability to have a variable name be a variable is suddenly a much bigger problem than before. With the way tabs work, i.e. you need to do everything using label and index values of the tabs, I really wish %%tap_label worked. You could of course use the index since %var(%tap_index) should work fine, I just don't like losing inherent descriptiveness of named variables.

I do suspect there's a simple way of circumventing this by using javascript to do the data transfer, however
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Curious

I can't wait to use the new version on my tablet, I have tasker beta on my VM android and I'm liking it