Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Fan

Default [hardware] GPS and wifi contacts for antennas

The EVO I bought was in rough shape, nothing a little solder couldn't fix though. And as a result, I'm able to share some knowledge gained in the process.

My symptoms were: GPS was only tracking 1-2 satellites at a time, not enough for navigation, and wifi only had good signal in the same room as the router, leaving the room resulted in a drastic drop of signal strength.

The contacts on the main board (Which connect it to the antennas on the midboard, sometimes called "housing") were missing for the GPS and wifi.

What I've learned: the GPS contacts are on the top right (when looking at the phone taken apart, if it's together and you're looking at the screen, it would be the top left)
And the contacts for the wifi antenna are on the bottom right (bottom left when viewed from front)

I've attached some photos, note that each one has 2 contacts, and I am missing 1 metal spring thingy from each pair. The last photo shows the GPS contacts repaired, to give you an idea of what it *should* look like (ignoring the sloppy solder of course)

I've left out the repaired wifi pic because... well the metal spring was nowhere to be found in the case, so I had to use a piece of wire, not something that looks very pretty, but it works... if anyone knows where I can buy these spring things for a reasonable price (and not a bulk pack of 5000) please let me know!

And always remember: even if they assure you "everything works perfectly", there's a reason it's 1/2 price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EVO_GPS_contacts.jpg (22.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg EVO_wifi_contacts.jpg (9.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg EVO_GPS_contacts_fixed.jpg (14.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Curious

Default Re: [hardware] GPS and wifi contacts for antennas

this is on my evo 3d. i wish my wifi problem was so simple. i have plenty of 4g, 3g and regular cell service and gps. my wifi is lacking. i moded my phone with the hp/palm touchstone charger and the regulator board/chip interferes with wifi. im looking for a way to relocate the antenna seeing as how it took forever to get the positioning perfect on the peices inside the phone already. the wires i ran from the usb to the induction coil arent the problem. its the chip.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Curious

by the way you asked about where to get those little spring contacts for the antennas. i took a mico sdhc to sd card adapter apart and made some out of the little flat pieces inside. works alright in my droid incredible and in my batter charger.
and you should remove the evo 3d reference on your post. the evo and evo 3d are nothing alike when it comes to main boards.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Curious

Does anyone here know which connectors are for wifi in the 3D?? I actually want to block these two connectors, so my daughter cannot use wifi, but can still call and text.