Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 AM
Tech Obsessed

Default How to root the Sony Tablet P

This is a guide on how to root the Sony Tablet P
This guide also works for the Sony Tablet S

I am going to try to make it as simple and short as possible. (Originally, there was suppose to be a full long guide, but I have discovered another method which is much easier) *I have tested this method*

Before we start please download the file for the ADB Installer and the "easy" rooting program...

ADB Installer
Credits to BluechipJ
Plus edited by myself

Sony Tablet Root Program *UPDATED*
*To read about this tools other feature please read here*
More credits to condi

Exploit credit goes to djrbliss

*Neither I nor anyone else are responsible for any damages to your devices. If you decide to device, this may void your warranty.*

Extract these files (preferably on your desktop). Okay, now we are ready to begin!

Step 1.

We need your computer to recognize your tablet, so we to install the ADB for that. First, open the "Sony Tablet ADB Driver Automated Installer" folder. navigate to the "Install ADB Drivers.exe" and run it. (It should take a few seconds to install the drivers)

Step 1.5.

If the drivers don't install correctly, then go to "Device Manager" on your computer. *Connect the Sony Tablet P*. Under "Portable Devices" you should see the "Sony Tablet P" and right-click to "Update Driver Software." Select the option to "Browse Computer" and select the option to "Let you pick from a list." Now click "Have Disk..." Navigate to the ADB driver folder that I provided and select the "android_winusb" file. Next window should provide you with four files, but only select "Android Composite ADB Interface."

If this still doesn't work, try right-clicking on "Sony Tablet P" and click on "Disable." This will disable the MTP driver, which may interfere with your computer being able to recognize the device in ADB. You can re-enable the driver later if you want.

Step 2.

ON YOUR TABLET!!! Go to "Settings" and click on "Applications." Click to check "Unknown Sources." Next go into "Development" and click to click "USB debugging." (You can uncheck these options after the root)

Step 3.

Plug in your Sony Tablet to your computer.

Step 4.

Now go to the "SonyTablet [ALLinONE] v1.1" folder that you extracted. Just run the "SonyTablet.bat" file and follow the on-screen instructions. (Which I believe is "1" "Enter" "Enter") (This process can take up to 30 minutes)

*The Sony Tablet will reboot multiple times. This is normal. Please do not stop or disconnect your tablet during this process.*

You should get a message when the rooting is completed. On your Sony Tablet go into your apps and check if you have an application called "Superuser." If you have this application, then you have successfully rooted your Sony Tablet P.

Please enjoy this new world with your Sony Tablet P.

I am here for support, please feel free to ask any questions here.

Last edited by RayIczer; 05-14-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Update: May 15, 2012 (Tokyo Time)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Fan

Awesome! Thanks, dude.

I will try this as soon as I get home tonight. If all goes well, the next time I post in this thread will be with a "Yahoo! I'm rooted!" message.

Thanks!!

Swyped in Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Zealot

Default Re: How to root the Sony Tablet P

Hmm. It didn't work for me.

This kept popping up during the process:

*daemon not running. starting it now.*
*daemon started successfully*
*daemon still not runningerror: cannot connect to daemon*

Every time it said it was rebooting, the tablet wasn't really rebooting. I got the "exploit complete!" message at the end, but it seems that nothing really happened.

It disabled the MTP driver at one point, which is what seemed to make it work, and then it re-enabled it afterwards. My guess is that my computer (64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate) doesn't recognize the device. Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Obsessed

@Jenn

I have two suggestion. Maybe your ABD drivers didnt install correctly?

First, on your computer go to "Device Manager" *While the Sony Tablet P is connected*(You can just search for it). Under "Portable Devices" you should see the "Sony Tablet P" and right-click to "Update Driver Software." Select the option to "Browse Computer" and select the option to "Let you pick from a list." Now click "Have Disk..." Navigate to the ADB driver folder that I provided and select the "android_winusb" file. Next window should provide you with four files, but only select "Android Composite ADB Interface." Let it install and run the root program once more.

Hope this solves the problem, if not I have one more small step to do...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Zealot

I tried that but got this error message after I selected the "android_winusb" file:

Quote:
The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.
I don't know if this matters, but when I plug in the Tablet P to my computer, it shows up twice in Device Manager. Once as "Sony Tablet P" under "Portable Devices" and another time as "Android Phone" at the top of the list (when I click on that, "ADB Composite USB Interface" appears below that).
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Obsessed

@Jenn

Hmm... Showing up on Device manager twice is normal.

My second suggestion is in "Device Manager" under "Portable Devices" right click the Sony Tablet P and disable the device and once again run the root program. If this doesn't work I might have to edit the file to go with your computer.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Zealot

It worked!! Thanks so much, RayIczer.

It kept trying and failing to install the MTP driver, which must've been the main problem because all of that daemon stuff I was getting earlier didn't appear this time.

Next step: send you the Crash Bandicoot apk!

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Obsessed

Awesome!!! Hope you enjoy your rooted tablet!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Obsessed

H, it also looks like I got to update the first post... I will do that after a quick nap...
f^_^; )
Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Fan

Niiiiiiice. One more reason to buy the tablet p!

Any mods or roms out there yet?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Tech Obsessed

There is no mods or roms that I know of. At least, that is made for the Sony Tablet P specifically. We can start the Sony Tablet P mods and we will be a hit.

Edit: UPDATED FIRST POST

Just added step 1.5

Last edited by RayIczer; 03-09-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Curious

Great news I just purchased a Sony Tablet P a few days ago, in love with it!!

I've never rooted a device before, after a Google search it seems rooting a device gives you 'admin' access where you can improve performance, have access to system files, install apps on SD card, install apps made for rooted devices, etc...

One thing I'm curious on, is they say you can install the latest Android OS on a rooted device, if I rooted my Sony P, can I now install ICS? or is it a work in progress and someone needs to create some type of special file to do this?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Obsessed

@NineT9

The ICS as of now cannot be rooted as of yet because we are not sure what ICS will change in the Sony Tablet system yet. I also believe there is no ICS official update for the Sony Tablet. So, you can update, but you also risk the chance of not having the device rooted for quite a while...
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Curious

ahhh perfect, thanks for your response RayIczer appreciate the quick reply

Good to know on that, guess I will wait for an official release from Sony on that, but I'll still root my tablet until then Thanks for your reply again and for the tutorial, you rock!!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayIczer View Post
We can start the Sony Tablet P mods and we will be a hit.
Better get to work on unlocking the bootloader!