Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Other Platforms & Gadgets > Smartphones & Internet Devices

Smartphones & Internet Devices Android, Windows Phone 7, iPhone, Nokia Internet Tablets, Archos, and others

Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Samsung's new Chromebook

Hi everyone, just curious as to whether any of you lurking out there are as excited about Chrome OS and the new Chromebooks as I am. I just got my Samsung Chromebook - the new one, for $249 - and I can't put it down yet.

The OS has evolved so much since I last used it about 10-11 months ago. The web apps are also light years ahead of where they used to be. So far, Pixlr is my favorite photo editor.

Acer's new Chromebook looks nice, too, but the battery life is too low, and I don't want an HDD. Anyway, anyone else with a Chromebook out there?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Samsung's new Chromebook

I actually still have the original CR-48, but I ended up putting Fedora/LXDE on it so that I could run some desktop apps. I've been meaning to get it out and update to the new "desktop-like" interface, but haven't really had time. I've also been considering one of the new Samsung Chromebooks, as I'm going to need a new laptop in the near future. However, I'll have to wait and see how much development there is around the laptop (being ARM powered and all) before I buy one. The CR-48 can run Windows, Linux, Android, and even MacOS, so I want at least Linux support from the Samsung version.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Administrator

I have a feeling that the new Acer Chromebook will have more development on it. I've already been reading in other places about people wanting to dual boot on that one because it's got a 320GB harddrive, as opposed to the 16GB on the Samsung Chromebook. And for $200, that one is also a steal.

For me, the Samsung Chromebook made more sense because of its longer battery life, and the notion of a completely fanless and silent laptop was very appealing. I'm not planning on dual booting (the most adventurous I've gotten is entering the beta channel - if I really want to go crazy, maybe one day I'll enter the dev channel). Also, since it comes with 100GB free Google Drive space, and Google Drive is integrated into the native file explorer seamlessly, I don't really care that it only has 16GB.

But in your case, I'd seriously look at Acer.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

The Acer wouldn't be bad, but I prefer the solid state storage of the Samsung, as well as the industrial design. I also tend to just think that the whole ARM laptop thing is pretty cool. Anyhow, it seems that all hope for running Ubuntu on the Samsung Chromebook is not lost, at least according to this: http://liliputing.com/2012/10/samsun...un-ubuntu.html
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Administrator

That's really awesome - I'm going to have to check out that link when I have a bit more time. I really like the fact that this is booting through the SD card, rather than dual booting from the SSD - Chrome OS doesn't really share the SSD very well, and I'd prefer to keep this as stock as possible. Thanks for sharing!