Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Curious

Default evo3d on old viperrom.

So i rooted my phone probably about 8 or so months ago. My problem is my mind gets so conflicted with the plethora of information out there that im chasing ny tail so to speak. I would love to install a more current rom but im pretty sure its not as easy as it wouldve been 8 months ago due to all of the advances in software and what not. So if anyone would care to clarify and maybe shed some light on my issue, i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Curious

Default Re: evo3d on old viperrom.

Ok maybe this question needs a shove. I was thinking that maybe i should unroot my phone back to stock then update to the newest ota firmware then root it back to a newer custom rom. Opinions? What do you all think?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

sorry, managed to miss this...

are you S-ON or S-OFF?

S-OFF you can just flash the new firmware and then a new ROM, S-ON you'll need to jump through hoops.

the hoops generally are
0) nandroid backup
1) lock using fastboot oem lock
2) RUU to the newest OTA (they newest one is out, so you don't actually have to check for anything)
3) HTCDev unlock
4) install recovery
5) install new ROM
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Curious

Hey Paul -

I figured I'd jump in here. (unfortunately with more questions, not answers) -

I basically fell out of love with mucking around with my EVO3D for awhile and have been running Dropzeroc's ZR3DX 2.1 for some time now. I was on his ZR3D GT4.1 for awhile as well, but mainly just to get 20GB on dropbox for running a Sense 4 ROM. I'm getting all kinds of issues nowadays and I'm just not sure where to go, not following the day-to-day developments on xda or any of the other forums for some time.

So, yes, I am S-OFF, HBOOT 1.40.1100
Radio 0.97.10.0808 (probably way out of date)

I should be able to do most anything with it without jumping through too many hoops.

Can you point me in the right direction? If I can flash new firmware and just stick with the ZR3dx ROM, that will be fine. I just need one that works and lets me use wi-fi tether, 4G, and bluetooth. Well, of course, I like more than that, but I need those things, so 4.x sense ROMS don't seem to do the trick.

Many thanks,
Graham

P.S. Maybe this is another thread, but how the hell can I restore SMS messages after a complete wipe and new install? I always lose those things.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, you'll need newer radios and firmware to do anything useful on sense 4 ROMs, I'd advise updating to an ENG hboot if you can find one, or 1.04.2000 and get the radios up to at least 1.09.00.0706 if you want to do anything with modern ROMs.

Since you're S-OFF should be as simple as downloading a PG8600IMG.ZIP and flashing it for the radios and hboot.

As for the text messages, you have titanium backup? Supposedly the new one can restore texts from a nandroid if you make one before you update.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Curious

thanks - I didn't realize TB would backup SMS messages now. That's very useful. It has updated many times since the last time I changed my ROM.

Will see what I can find with the HBOOT and radio.