Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Obsessed

Default Who's getting a Surface Pro?

After a three-month wait, the Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be released tonight. We've discussed the merits of the device at length in these forums, but now it's time to decide. Will you be picking up a Surface Pro?

Personally, I would love to get one, but I just can't justify purchasing another tablet/laptop at the moment. My Surface RT is my primary device around the house and on the go, and in the rare occasion when I need a desktop application, I can use the Acer Iconia W510 or Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T. As a result, I plan on holding off for now. How about you?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Tech Obsessed

Default Re: Who's getting a Surface Pro?

I had the opportunity to talk to some folks from the Microsoft Store in Bellevue, and they're selling Surface Pros as fast as they can get them in stock. Apparently, new shipments are being delivered every few hours, and they can't go more than an hour without selling out! It's difficult to tell whether the supply is limited, demand is high, or both, but it sounds like a good sign either way.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Zealot

They don't have a whole lot in common, but for me it was a toss-up between the Surface Pro, Vaio Duo 11, and Dell XPS 13.

Although the Surface and Duo definitely have a wow factor that the XPS lacks, I've finally accepted after years of failed attempts that I really, really, really have no place in my life for a tablet of any size. I keep buying them, trying to use them, and then either selling them for a significant loss or putting them in the closet or drawer forever. I've been doing this since 2006 with slate-style UMPCs (followed by iPads and Android tablets), so I know that operating system doesn't make a difference to me. I just can't embrace the form factor.

So although I won't be getting a "true" Windows 8 experience without a touchscreen, I'm going with the top-of-the-line XPS 13 to replace my Vaio Z.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
They don't have a whole lot in common, but for me it was a toss-up between the Surface Pro, Vaio Duo 11, and Dell XPS 13.

Although the Surface and Duo definitely have a wow factor that the XPS lacks, I've finally accepted after years of failed attempts that I really, really, really have no place in my life for a tablet of any size. I keep buying them, trying to use them, and then either selling them for a significant loss or putting them in the closet or drawer forever. I've been doing this since 2006 with slate-style UMPCs (followed by iPads and Android tablets), so I know that operating system doesn't make a difference to me. I just can't embrace the form factor.

So although I won't be getting a "true" Windows 8 experience without a touchscreen, I'm going with the top-of-the-line XPS 13 to replace my Vaio Z.
I'm really intrigued by this! So, you wouldn't even consider a tablet that ran full Windows 8 as a desktop/laptop replacement, if it was powerful enough? I can see the limitations imposed by Windows RT, Android, iOS, etc. - but what about full Windows 8?

Maybe we just need to wait a few years for tablets to *truly* catch up to laptops in terms of raw power.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
So, you wouldn't even consider a tablet that ran full Windows 8 as a desktop/laptop replacement, if it was powerful enough? I can see the limitations imposed by Windows RT, Android, iOS, etc. - but what about full Windows 8?
The Surface Pro and Vaio Duo are full Windows 8 tablets (though the Duo is more of a hybrid since the keyboard isn't removable) and I did seriously consider them as my primary computer. I couldn't see myself ever using either without the keyboard, though. And if I'm always going to use the keyboard, then I may as well get a traditional laptop - or in the XPS's case, an ultrabook that's thinner, lighter, and has more battery life.

After nearly 7 years, I've finally accepted that all I really need are two devices: large-screen phone and laptop.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Tech Obsessed

Quote:
Quote:
So, you wouldn't even consider a tablet that ran full Windows 8 as a desktop/laptop replacement, if it was powerful enough? I can see the limitations imposed by Windows RT, Android, iOS, etc. - but what about full Windows 8?
The Surface Pro and Vaio Duo are full Windows 8 tablets (though the Duo is more of a hybrid since the keyboard isn't removable) and I did seriously consider them as my primary computer. I couldn't see myself ever using either without the keyboard, though. And if I'm always going to use the keyboard, then I may as well get a traditional laptop - or in the XPS's case, an ultrabook that's thinner, lighter, and has more battery life.

After nearly 7 years, I've finally accepted that all I really need are two devices: large-screen phone and laptop.
Fascinating! I'm surprised that you no longer feel the need to have a tablet.

I feel similarly about the need to have a keyboard, but I like the tablet form-factor for portability and media consumption. That's why I like the Surface better than the other tablets, in fact. With the ATIV, VivoTab, or Iconia, I'd need to carry around a keyboard dock all of the time. But with the Surface, it's a very thin (and lightweight) keyboard cover. Of course, I'm not sure I'd ever use any of these devices as my one and only computer, since they're not as fast as the high-performance Ultrabooks.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Right - I thought maybe they just weren't powerful enough to do everything you needed them to do. So it's not just an issue of speed/processing power at all. Hmm...

I've noticed that I have to make a conscious effort to occasionally use my Nexus 7 (and previously my Transformer and HTC tablets), or else they will end up sitting around for days, collecting dust. I guess my phone/Chromebook are my two main devices - but I don't see myself ever giving up a tablet completely, for those instances I want to read a magazine or ebook, or play a game on a bigger screen...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Obsessed

Quote:
I've noticed that I have to make a conscious effort to occasionally use my Nexus 7 (and previously my Transformer and HTC tablets), or else they will end up sitting around for days, collecting dust. I guess my phone/Chromebook are my two main devices - but I don't see myself ever giving up a tablet completely, for those instances I want to read a magazine or ebook, or play a game on a bigger screen...
I know what you mean. That's why I like the hybrid laptop/tablet form-factor.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Obsessed

I really need better battery life on the Pro. I think im going to wait till the Pro 2 or pull the trigger on a Levono X1
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
I really need better battery life on the Pro. I think im going to wait till the Pro 2 or pull the trigger on a Levono X1
I feel the same way. The battery life - while not terrible - could be a lot longer. Once it is, the Pro will be a no-brainer.