Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default Those who claim a removable battery is not a necessity

I've seen many claims lately that a removable battery is not a necessity. That the HTC EVO 4G LTE can survive on power management alone. This is your experience. I have to have the phone on at all times.

Every Thursday I've gone with the wife to a clinic to check on the status of upcoming King V 2013. The wait is generally about 5-10 minutes, and the whole deal is about 15 minutes of weighing, checking blood pressure, etc.

All this is done in a bunker basically. 1 bar. I have to be able to receive calls. Data off. Cell screaming. I lose in 30 minutes 10-15% of battery. More if I want to play a word game or actually do something with the screen on.

After that it's generally off to grab coffee or something down the street, near dead zone where I get 3 bars and no data.

An hour and a half I can drain my phone to 55% making the EVO 4G LTE have a battery life of three hours. This is why the One scares me so.

Now, in normal use that doesn't involve me being in a medical bunker, I can last most of a day with playing with the phone. But man, having to have the phone yelling to a tower through medical waste burns a battery.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Those who claim a removable battery is not a necessity

I think you could argue that's more a problem of Sprint's crappy network than a design flaw on HTC's part. Those aren't normal circumstances, and under normal circumstances, the battery can last all day.

You can also bring along your charger, or use a portable battery charger, or use a case with a built-in battery...
Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

In general, I say that if a smartphone lasts for about 12-15 hours on a single charge it will be enough for the vast majority of buyers. They only need to last through a day of regular use, nothing more, and a removable battery isn't a necessity for them. Also, portable battery packs or built in battery chargers aren't so different from a removable battery except for the fact that they don't charge the phone instantly. For the occasion scenario where a user needs a longer lasting battery like an airplane flight or especially long day, they should be fine. For the less common cases when an internal battery isn't going to cut it with your normal routine, then a removable battery could be considered a necessity. However, when most of the smartphone buying population has no need for it, it isn't a surprise that many manufacturers no longer offer the feature.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Curious

From the standpoint of someone who has serviced mobile devices in the past, removing the battery will essentially have one advantage over just resetting the phone: killing the tower connection.

In older smartphones and feature phones, the phone could occasionally get "stuck" on a tower. This meant that of you travelled from one town to the next your phone might still be looking for the tower in the old town even if it was out of range and a closer tower was available.

Removing the battery allowed technicians to kill the power to the RAM, thus removing the stuck "tower entry" keeping the phone from having service. Think of it like resetting the CMOS on a computer.

In more modern phones, this issue has been addressed and essentially defeated (though I do say that hesitantly, as this is not always true) and so the removable battery is not nearly as necessary as it was just 5 years ago, and more hardware developers and carriers have felt comfortable taking away that option, as eliminating a removable back will generally increase the durability of the phone, albeit making it much harder to service.

So in short, its a toss up based on the needs of the software, in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

I now have more scenarios that a removable battery is lifeblood to:

Hospitals - they're lead-lined bunkers of cell killing signal - this it could be argued is Sprint's network, but probably not.
Driving - Screen on/GPS+charger still = battery drain - this is not Sprint's network. 1 AMP in and 1.4 AMPS out = dead phone on a road trip.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildlydisturbed View Post
Driving - Screen on/GPS+charger still = battery drain - this is not Sprint's network. 1 AMP in and 1.4 AMPS out = dead phone on a road trip.
Hmmm - I've never had that problem on road trips. I've even had my phone get fully charged from a half charge on a road trip, with screen on, GPS navigation running, Bluetooth on, and music streaming...
Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Might be the charger you were using, because with GPS+Podcast streaming over HSPA+, Bluetooth audio, screen on, same situation as John, my Nexus 4 still charges in the car. It charges slowly, but still charges via the cigarette plug. With an AC converter it charges even faster.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Administrator

And while I get that removable batteries are more efficient sometimes, don't external battery cases have the same end effect? Not trying to be argumentative, but it just seems there are too many other solutions out there to be so caught up on removable batteries!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

External battery cases block NFC almost universally, and many times won't charge past 500mAh.
They also add another layer of stuff between you and the tower.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
External battery cases block NFC almost universally, and many times won't charge past 500mAh.
They also add another layer of stuff between you and the tower.
Good points - but I've come across a few studies that show NFC use is still not really mainstream, so I bet more people would be willing to give up that functionality for a better battery. Personally, I wouldn't - I'm one of those power users that does use NFC quite regularly with my NFC-enabled headphones! (and, very occasionally, Google Wallet)
Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Although not everyone experienced this, another reason for a replaceable battery is the day after Google IO when they release a lot of software that will suddenly decide to drain your battery (as happened to me) before releasing yet another patch shortly afterward.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Although not everyone experienced this, another reason for a replaceable battery is the day after Google IO when they release a lot of software that will suddenly decide to drain your battery (as happened to me) before releasing yet another patch shortly afterward.
I'm starting to side with you, Paul. For some reason, Sprint service at my house went from 3-4 bars to 0-1, and sometimes it roams on its own, also with 0-1 bars. I don't know what's going on, but my phone now has to be charged at least twice a day, instead of being able to make it through the entire day with 40% left over.

Oh, and when I called Sprint, they said it would be fixed a few days ago. Nope.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

My EVO 4G LTE running nothing went through about 50% of the battery in 3 hours on WiFi. Google Services were the cause.... like seriously... I can't carry around batteries all the time for when an errant unremovable app pushed but google causes my phone to blow its lid.

Also living right on the edge of the LTE zone means I burn significantly more battery for some reason...
Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Also living right on the edge of the LTE zone means I burn significantly more battery for some reason...
Have you tried putting your EVO in CDMA-only mode, and only using LTE when you know you'll be in a strong signal area? That might help the problem a bit...
Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Curious

I've got the best reason I can think of. I'm still using my HTC Evo 4g as a daily driver after 3 years. In those 3 years I have burned out 4 batteries.
Removable battery= phone keeps working

Non removable battery= dead phone after you kill off your battery

Since I can't afford to keep buying new phones, I'll stick with putting new batteries in my Evo till the standard of new software requires more hardware than I've got.