Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Default Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

The OG EVO is now over three years old, and arguably no phone has been quite as revolutionary as the EVO was at its release. It's still a respectable device even with today's specs, and devs have got it running Jelly Bean with little or no issues. In other words, it's still awesome!

I got rid of my EVO a while back, but I'm curious how many of you still have it. Or even more interesting, how many of you are still using it with your Sprint service as your daily driver?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Curious

Right here, since launch day. On Sprint, in an area that never even got press rumors of 4g service.

Current setup:
HTC Evo 4g Supersonic
Root!
Deck's RELOADED .500 RLS
Extended double thick battery from some cheap place on Amazon.
8GB SD card
Contacts+ for contacts
Handcent for SMS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371800477944.jpg (9.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371800500217.jpg (11.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371800514404.jpg (14.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadTarn View Post
Right here, since launch day. On Sprint, in an area that never even got press rumors of 4g service.

Current setup:
HTC Evo 4g Supersonic
Root!
Deck's RELOADED .500 RLS
Extended double thick battery from some cheap place on Amazon.
8GB SD card
Contacts+ for contacts
Handcent for SMS
You're a rare breed...
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Curious

Smile Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

I am still rocking my OG EVO with Sprint. I am running Team D.I.R.T's DigitalKarma V9 Enlightenment Rom and loving it. I have the EPIC 4G Touch too but my EVO is the one I have registered with Sprint for calls, 3g and where available 4g.

Why, It just feels right to me!! I know it sounds insane but I can't seem to let go of my OG EVO. Some people ask if it is a new phone when they see it and I just laugh and let them know it's not but it is my workhorse and has never let me down. No matter what I do to it, it just keeps going.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Curious

Also gotta give props for Deck's reloaded... best Rom on this phone.period. tried several ics and jb roms but they don't pay nice with my hardware. Deck's is my go-to for a fully functioning Rom with no hang ups.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Also gotta give props for Deck's reloaded... best Rom on this phone.period. tried several ics and jb roms but they don't pay nice with my hardware. Deck's is my go-to for a fully functioning Rom with no hang ups.
Paul did a write-up on that ROM a while ago, but it's been almost a year. I imagine it's gotten even better since then!

Do you think enough has changed that it's worth revisiting for another article on the site?

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/05/r...tc-evo-4g.html
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Curious

Still using the original EVO 4G. At least until wimaxx gets cut off. I might still use it as a wifi device after I switch to a new phone. I like the camera too. It has some unique features that seem to be phased out of later models.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm245 View Post
Still using the original EVO 4G. At least until wimaxx gets cut off. I might still use it as a wifi device after I switch to a new phone. I like the camera too. It has some unique features that seem to be phased out of later models.
What are the unique camera features? It's been a while since I've used the phone and I don't remember anything being particularly special, especially compared to newer cameras like the one on the EVO 4G LTE.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

I still (theoretically) have two EVO 4Gs. I was using one as a baby monitor/skype running/game playing thing but have misplaced it somewhere.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

Paul did a write-up on that ROM a while ago, but it's been almost a year. I imagine it's gotten even better since then!

Do you think enough has changed that it's worth revisiting for another article on the site?

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/05/r...tc-evo-4g.html
The developer is working on putting out the final release, I would wait till that version drops. Last time it was reviewed it was on version .44, current version is .500 RLS, and the final version .500 BMG is rumored to be coming soon. This will be the final update of this Rom before JamieG moves on to other devices, but it is supposed to be the end-all, be-all for AOSP GB roms. I have been running RELOADED for a year now, and it cured my flash-itis. Haven't found a better Rom for the 4g.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The developer is working on putting out the final release, I would wait till that version drops. Last time it was reviewed it was on version .44, current version is .500 RLS, and the final version .500 BMG is rumored to be coming soon. This will be the final update of this Rom before JamieG moves on to other devices, but it is supposed to be the end-all, be-all for AOSP GB roms. I have been running RELOADED for a year now, and it cured my flash-itis. Haven't found a better Rom for the 4g.
I just think that's so awesome, that development is still happening for a phone as old as the EVO 4G. If devs can do this in their spare time, I still don't understand by manufacturers can't figure out a way to do this themselves and keep their phones updated... but that's another rant for another time!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Curious

Oddly, my EVO 4G recently 'forgot' most of its Apps. At first, it was only ones that were stored on my uSD card, but the list grew to include built-in Apps such as Maps and Google Play (which went kerblooey after re-installing one App).

Its uSD card works just fine and can be read two different ways. I can tell which Apps have disassociated themselves from the OS by the appearance of their icons (generic Android = bad).

And then, after I had bought a replacement phone, I rebooted the EVO 4G and several Apps were restored. It's sort of fluctuated since then.

After I configure my new phone, I will reset the EVO 4G and see if I can get it running.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

I had similar issues a couple of years back. It seems that the issue was the SD card was damaged even though it showed working fine.

I'd lose apps both on the external and internal even though the internal was fine.

Pop the SD out and see if they don't all reappear.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildlydisturbed View Post
I had similar issues a couple of years back. It seems that the issue was the SD card was damaged even though it showed working fine.

I'd lose apps both on the external and internal even though the internal was fine.

Pop the SD out and see if they don't all reappear.
I wonder how a damaged SD card could do that to apps installed on internal storage? Perhaps this is another reason why Google decided not to include expandable memory in the Nexus line - not only is it "confusing" for the end user, but it can break other stuff, too.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Tech Curious

no,,,