Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
John John is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 378
Default Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

The OG EVO is now over three years old, and arguably no phone has been quite as revolutionary as the EVO was at its release. It's still a respectable device even with today's specs, and devs have got it running Jelly Bean with little or no issues. In other words, it's still awesome!

I got rid of my EVO a while back, but I'm curious how many of you still have it. Or even more interesting, how many of you are still using it with your Sprint service as your daily driver?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM
RedheadTarn RedheadTarn is offline
Tech Curious
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Right here, since launch day. On Sprint, in an area that never even got press rumors of 4g service.

Current setup:
HTC Evo 4g Supersonic
Root!
Deck's RELOADED .500 RLS
Extended double thick battery from some cheap place on Amazon.
8GB SD card
Contacts+ for contacts
Handcent for SMS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371800477944.jpg (9.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371800500217.jpg (11.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371800514404.jpg (14.3 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 AM
John John is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 378
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadTarn View Post
Right here, since launch day. On Sprint, in an area that never even got press rumors of 4g service.

Current setup:
HTC Evo 4g Supersonic
Root!
Deck's RELOADED .500 RLS
Extended double thick battery from some cheap place on Amazon.
8GB SD card
Contacts+ for contacts
Handcent for SMS
You're a rare breed...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM
HeadBlade911's Avatar
HeadBlade911 HeadBlade911 is offline
Tech Curious
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Smile Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

I am still rocking my OG EVO with Sprint. I am running Team D.I.R.T's DigitalKarma V9 Enlightenment Rom and loving it. I have the EPIC 4G Touch too but my EVO is the one I have registered with Sprint for calls, 3g and where available 4g.

Why, It just feels right to me!! I know it sounds insane but I can't seem to let go of my OG EVO. Some people ask if it is a new phone when they see it and I just laugh and let them know it's not but it is my workhorse and has never let me down. No matter what I do to it, it just keeps going.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
RedheadTarn RedheadTarn is offline
Tech Curious
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Also gotta give props for Deck's reloaded... best Rom on this phone.period. tried several ics and jb roms but they don't pay nice with my hardware. Deck's is my go-to for a fully functioning Rom with no hang ups.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM
John John is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 378
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadTarn View Post
Also gotta give props for Deck's reloaded... best Rom on this phone.period. tried several ics and jb roms but they don't pay nice with my hardware. Deck's is my go-to for a fully functioning Rom with no hang ups.
Paul did a write-up on that ROM a while ago, but it's been almost a year. I imagine it's gotten even better since then!

Do you think enough has changed that it's worth revisiting for another article on the site?

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/05/r...tc-evo-4g.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM
jhm245 jhm245 is offline
Tech Curious
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Still using the original EVO 4G. At least until wimaxx gets cut off. I might still use it as a wifi device after I switch to a new phone. I like the camera too. It has some unique features that seem to be phased out of later models.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 AM
John John is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 378
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm245 View Post
Still using the original EVO 4G. At least until wimaxx gets cut off. I might still use it as a wifi device after I switch to a new phone. I like the camera too. It has some unique features that seem to be phased out of later models.
What are the unique camera features? It's been a while since I've used the phone and I don't remember anything being particularly special, especially compared to newer cameras like the one on the EVO 4G LTE.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 AM
mildlydisturbed mildlydisturbed is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 526
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

I still (theoretically) have two EVO 4Gs. I was using one as a baby monitor/skype running/game playing thing but have misplaced it somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 AM
RedheadTarn RedheadTarn is offline
Tech Curious
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

Paul did a write-up on that ROM a while ago, but it's been almost a year. I imagine it's gotten even better since then!

Do you think enough has changed that it's worth revisiting for another article on the site?

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/05/r...tc-evo-4g.html
The developer is working on putting out the final release, I would wait till that version drops. Last time it was reviewed it was on version .44, current version is .500 RLS, and the final version .500 BMG is rumored to be coming soon. This will be the final update of this Rom before JamieG moves on to other devices, but it is supposed to be the end-all, be-all for AOSP GB roms. I have been running RELOADED for a year now, and it cured my flash-itis. Haven't found a better Rom for the 4g.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 AM
John John is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 378
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadTarn View Post
The developer is working on putting out the final release, I would wait till that version drops. Last time it was reviewed it was on version .44, current version is .500 RLS, and the final version .500 BMG is rumored to be coming soon. This will be the final update of this Rom before JamieG moves on to other devices, but it is supposed to be the end-all, be-all for AOSP GB roms. I have been running RELOADED for a year now, and it cured my flash-itis. Haven't found a better Rom for the 4g.
I just think that's so awesome, that development is still happening for a phone as old as the EVO 4G. If devs can do this in their spare time, I still don't understand by manufacturers can't figure out a way to do this themselves and keep their phones updated... but that's another rant for another time!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Jeff in 92833 Jeff in 92833 is offline
Tech Curious
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 2
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Oddly, my EVO 4G recently 'forgot' most of its Apps. At first, it was only ones that were stored on my uSD card, but the list grew to include built-in Apps such as Maps and Google Play (which went kerblooey after re-installing one App).

Its uSD card works just fine and can be read two different ways. I can tell which Apps have disassociated themselves from the OS by the appearance of their icons (generic Android = bad).

And then, after I had bought a replacement phone, I rebooted the EVO 4G and several Apps were restored. It's sort of fluctuated since then.

After I configure my new phone, I will reset the EVO 4G and see if I can get it running.


Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 AM
mildlydisturbed mildlydisturbed is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 526
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

I had similar issues a couple of years back. It seems that the issue was the SD card was damaged even though it showed working fine.

I'd lose apps both on the external and internal even though the internal was fine.

Pop the SD out and see if they don't all reappear.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 AM
John John is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 378
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildlydisturbed View Post
I had similar issues a couple of years back. It seems that the issue was the SD card was damaged even though it showed working fine.

I'd lose apps both on the external and internal even though the internal was fine.

Pop the SD out and see if they don't all reappear.
I wonder how a damaged SD card could do that to apps installed on internal storage? Perhaps this is another reason why Google decided not to include expandable memory in the Nexus line - not only is it "confusing" for the end user, but it can break other stuff, too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Osmond Osmond is offline
Tech Curious
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

no,,,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -10. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Back to Top Copyright © 2006-2016 CrowdGather. All rights reserved. About Pocketables | Advertisers | Investors | Legal | Contact