Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Tech Curious

Smile Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Greetings,

I got my Evo 4g LTE about a year and a half ago. Sprint upgrade,free,and I got it at Target instead of my usual place,Radio Shack,who actually set up Targets electronics department. They use a very similar process.

Anyways,I was updated to jellybeen a month or two after I got it. My first Android,and I love it! Came with all the Google goodies,and HTC has been pretty good about security updates so far. They fixed all the Masterkey vulns,and Fake id,as well as Heartbleed. But being on 4.1.1 os, the vulnerabilities are piling up again. Early next year I will likely get the m8 already lollipoped. But I may get brave enough to try and install Cyanogen mod 12 lollipop Rom they have for my device. There is a process to update the firmware first in order to install Cyanogen 12 . Has to do with wiping the partition first,which erases everything (apps,storage) which is why the jellybeen 4.3 update never happened. But the semi official 4.3 update,with the firmware mentioned above came fomr HTC via a tweet from guy who was in charge of the update. XDA and Cyanogen have the information on all this,so I think I may take the plung.

With all the apps and customizations I have,I really don't feel like I'm missing much right now. Considering my first smart phone was the kids hand me down, (he bought the iPhone 4s) htc touch pro two,a Windows phone (i had no idea until recently) which was almost four years old when i got my Evo. The switch was night and day. I was wowed with evo,so as you might imagine,I'm quite attached. I was researching rooting again and that's how I ended up here today. Finally registered. Read many tasker threads previously. So if you want to talk Evo,my pm is open.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

You say original EVO 4G in the headline and then talk about the EVO 4G LTE - these are two different phones.

The original came out in 2010, was only on Sprint, did WiMax as the 4g. That's the original HTC 4G. The one you're talking about is the HTC EVO 4G LTE, that's something like the sixth in the EVO series.

There was the HTC EVO 4G, the HTC EVO View (Flyer) the HTC EVO Shift 4G, the EVO 4G+, The HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE (the one you're talking about from 2012), the HTC EVO V 4G (which was just the 3D).

You'll need that RUU from HTC to get the partition update, but make sure you're S-OFF before you do it or you won't be able to go back.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Tech Curious

Smile Re: Anyone still rocking the original HTC EVO 4G?

Hi,
I probably posted in the wrong spot,but was hoping to see some others still using Evo.
My bad,being new here,that was my first post and I knew there was a difference in 4g and 4g LTE,but really did not think they were that far apart. I started on ICS but got jellybeen not long after.

Thanks fort the advice,I have read extensively at XDA, and Cyanogen's wiki page on needing to update the firmware to 4.13. From my 3.17.651.9 and I was aware of gaining S-off too. "captain throwback" has done a lot of the work,and the lollipop or CM 12 is currently available for my device. I'm still a tad green yet,as this is my first Android coming from HTC touch pro 2 which I inherited after the kid decided on Apple 4 because his i-pod broke,and it was cheaper to just but the phone,so I am running a few years behind everyone else. But to me,I feel like I came light years in just 4 years. With all the security fixes,and updates from HTC on this unit,I am not missing out on much right now. But,webview IS a problem,and a few other vulns that will not get fixed,so soon I will attempt to supercharge this still like new phone. And if I brick it, well,I'll be due for another free upgrade to an m8 most likely. One reason I have stayed with Sprint for over 15 years. Thanks again,and see ya around some time.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

I've got a Pac-Man ROM running on my EVO 4G LTE. It's actually really snappy. While I never had a great CM experience when I tried it, the phone was always capable of great things.

I mostly use the EVO 4G LTE as a test phone and to take pictures of the current phone for articles.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Administrator

I completely got rid of all my old HTC EVO devices. I have a Nexus 4, though, that I use for the same thing as you.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:19 AM
Tech Curious

Still on my EVO!
I need to root safely. I got here from the that search.
I need to the links to the zip files mentioned or any info.
Thanks a heap!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The OG EVO is now over three years old, and arguably no phone has been quite as revolutionary as the EVO was at its release. It's still a respectable device even with today's specs, and devs have got it running Jelly Bean with little or no issues. In other words, it's still awesome!

I got rid of my EVO a while back, but I'm curious how many of you still have it. Or even more interesting, how many of you are still using it with your Sprint service as your daily driver?
I am but I need to root and having a heckuva time find the root files.
Can you help. I emailed the unrevoke team but no answer and the site doesnt give the file download.