Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Android Devices > Android Mobile Phones > HTC EVO series

HTC EVO series HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE

Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Curious

Default "Retired" ROM for devices? (EVO3D)

Since I'll be retiring my Evo3D soon, I was just thinking how cool it'd be to find a ROM more geared towards "retired" devices. That is, devices that are no longer active on a carrier network (thus negating the need for things like LTE,WiMax, any radio mods, any dialer apps, messaging apps, or any carrier-specific apps, etc).

I can't help but think it's fairly common for people to still be looking for a use for their older devices and often that use is as a small media player.

So emphasis would be on wifi connectivity, media playing, data streaming, performance. And specifically for the EVO3d, the 3D camera may still be a neat little gimmick that sets it apart from any other cheap camera you have sitting around, so functional 3D would be a must.

Basically, I picture a ROM with a significantly different focus than your every-day use phone ROM would. I'd like to think that wifi tweaks, bluetooth, and media playback would be the strongest features. And slim, speedy performance because of the reduced number of apps/services that may normally be found on more "phone" gear devices.

Does such a ROM exist?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default Re: "Retired" ROM for devices? (EVO3D)

Paul would probably be the best to chime in and answer this, but I'd suggest just flashing some of the more popular ones and finding one that seems to work best for what you want to do. Probably most any ROM would do!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: "Retired" ROM for devices? (EVO3D)

I haven't seen anything that fits all of those.. since you want the 3D functionality to work you're going to need a stripped down Sense ROM as there have been no AOSP ones that function properly with the 3D.

As the 3D could play almost any media in its sleep and WiFi is standard, the only thing you're looking for specifically is performance that's not standard EVO 3D fare...

I know they made something like this for the 4G, will look tomorrow and see if there's any media-only Sense ROMs out there...