Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Tech Curious

Default SetFSB Guide: Under-and Overclock the VAIO P

In the past few days i worked with abo-san to develop SetFSB for the VAIO P-Series. With SetFSB you can under- or overclock your PC/Notebook by changing the FSB. Since version 2.1.100.0 the clock generator of the VAIO P (ICS9UMS9610BL) is supported.
Please visit the SetFSB homepage to download the latest version.

This guide assumes that you have some basic knowledge about overclocking.
Please turn off User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista and run each program as administrator.
Do not use battery power while playing around with SetFSB.

First a bit of theory:

The default FSB (Front-Side-Bus) for the VAIO P-Series is 133MHz.

Intel Atom Z520, Multiplier 10x (fixed), 133MHz x 10 = 1.33GHz
Intel Atom Z530, Multiplier 12x (fixed), 133MHz x 12 = 1.60GHz
Intel Atom Z540, Multiplier 14x (fixed), 133MHz x 14 = 1.86GHz

Example 1:
If your VAIO P comes with an Intel Atom Z530 processor (1.60GHz) and you want to overclock it
to reach the clock frequency of the Intel Atom Z540 processer (1.86GHz) you have to increase the
FSB to 155MHz: 155Mhz x 12 = 1.86Ghz.

Example 2:
If your VAIO P comes with an Intel Atom Z520 processor (1.33GHz) and you want to overclock it
to reach the clock frequency of the Intel Atom Z530 processer (1.60GHz) you have to increase the
FSB to 160MHz: 160Mhz x 10 = 1.60Ghz.

Example 3:
If your VAIO P comes with an Intel Atom Z520 processor (1.33GHz) and you want to overclock it
to reach the clock frequency of the Intel Atom Z540 processer (1.86GHz) you have to increase the
FSB to 186MHz: 186Mhz x 10 = 1.86Ghz. This is for my opinion nearly impossible.

When increasing the FSB you not only overclock the processor, but also the chipset, RAM and the PCI-E bus.
How far you can go depends on many components. Because of the fanless design of the VAIO P-Series,
heat can also be a problem. It's very important to monitor your temperatures during overclock.

What other software do we need?

When overclocking a PC/Notebook, i always use the same software to monitor temperatures and to check the system for stability:
(please click on the link for download)

CPU-Z
Everest Ultimate Edition
Super PI/mod1.5 XS
Prime95
Futuremark 3DMark05

There are many other tools out there, especially to monitor temperatures, but in the past i always have good experiences with Everest Ultimate Edition. Version 5.00.1650 fully supports the Intel Atom Z5xx series and the Intel System Controller Hub US15W chipset.

Now lets begin:

1. Download and extract SetFSB
2. Start SetFSB by doubleclicking setfsb.exe
3. From the dropdown-menu next to Clock Generator select ICS9UMS9610BL
4. Click Get FSB

Current FSB/DDR/PCI-E/PCI Frequency should be 133.3/266.7/100.0/33.3MHz.

Moving the slider to the right will result in a higher FSB and processor frequency (overclock).
Moving the slider to the left will result in a lower FSB and processor frequency (underclock).
You can also use the small buttons next to the slider for finer steps.
Select FSB/DDR/PCI-E/PCI Frequency will show you the new settings.

Please change the FSB only in small steps of 3-5MHz to avoid system crash!

5. Click Set FSB after each step to apply the new settings

Use CPU-Z or Everest Ultimate Editon to confirm your new settings.
Notice that CPU-Z does not display the correct processor name.

After each step you should run Super PI and calculate 1M digits of Pi to check the system for basic stability.

Errors like "Not exact in round" or "Not convergent in SQR05" will show you, that you pushed your system too far.

For an extensive stability test use the Torture Test of Prime95. This test should run hours without any error.
Don't forget to enable Round off checking under Advanced Options.

If Prime95 will show any errors, you have to reduce the FSB around 5 MHz and try again.
Monitor your temperatures, because Prime95 will generate maximum heat and power consumption.
Finally you should be able to complete 3DMark05 without any problems.

Command Line Options:

You can create a shortcut with the following options:

-w : Wait [00-99 sec] default=10sec
-s : Set FSB [000-999 MHz]
-i : Increment [00-99 MHz] default=max
-u : 0(default)=normal , 1=ultra
-b : 0(default)=normal , 1=background
-p : PCI-E [000-999 MHz] default=none
-cg[string] : Clock Generator default=none Maximum 15 characters

Example:
setfsb.exe -w05 -s155 -i05

With this command line, SetFSB will wait 5 seconds, then increase the FSB to 155MHz in increments of 5MHz.

Troubleshooting:

If you get a white screen or whatever, turn off the system, disconnect the power supply and remove the battery.
After one minute insert the battery, reconnect the power supply and power on your system.
Avoid using the same settings again.

Credits to abo-san

Last edited by myvaiop; 03-09-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Updated Command Line Options
Old 03-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Tech Fan

Default Re: SetFSB: Under-and Overclock the VAIO P

Quote:
Originally Posted by myvaiop View Post
In the past few days i worked with abo-san to develop SetFSB for the VAIO P-Series. The clock generator ICS9UMS9610BL is now supported, but the new version is not available for download yet. I am currently playing around with the beta version and will post a guide here later.

Please visit the SetFSB homepage to check if the new version is available for download.

Please remember: when playing around with SetFSB, change the FSB only in small steps of 3-5 MHz. Then apply your settings and test the machine for stabilty.
That's good news, thanks for the update !! And the new version is there.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:11 AM
Tech Addict

thanks for the great news! would be interesting to see how much that extra 0.4 volts help the Z540 overclock. I hope we get the great results from the Z520 that we desperately need.

Last edited by empowering; 03-07-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Tech Obsessed

Yes, finally! Thank you! Let's hope we can get some good results.

Last edited by Tikerz; 03-07-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Curious

Excellent!
The new version is now up for download!!!!!

If I can overclock American Vaio P's to at least European speeds, that would be great for me.

And the ability to underclock is nice too for longer battery life, because sometimes I'm just typing plain text notes in Notepad or Word, while being offline on my old laptop. Typing notes can be done at the lowest CPU, once everything is all launched and idling, to maximize the longest battery life.

I'd like to hear from others how much overclocking is achievable with SetFSB, and if it actually helps smooth out full screen Flash and iTunes videos.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Addict

Speeds of 1.80GHz are possible with the 1.33GHz running at 2.0 volts. Preliminary tests of Prime95 is stable for 1.5 hours.
oops, upon further research, it appears 2.4 is TDP, not voltage. The 1.33 and 1.86 processors use the same voltage

Last edited by empowering; 03-08-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 PM
k8t

how does the temperature (idle and full load) compare to when not overclocking? thanks.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

feels about the same by hand
Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by empowering View Post
Speeds of 1.80GHz are possible with the 1.33GHz running at 2.0 volts. Preliminary tests of Prime95 is stable for 1.5 hours. Any higher and I think the voltage limit is hit. I suspect that the 1.86GHz with 2.4 volts of juice will OC pretty well.
Well, that's darn near Japanese speed!
What are the Prime95 benchmarks for 1.33 versus 1.80 Ghz? Does it scale linearly for a CPU-bound application such as that one?
What is the default voltage for the 1.86 Ghz GPU in the Japanese version, anyway?

How is battery life affected by this?
Also, does it still speedstep to slow speeds when idling, or will it idle at 1.80 Ghz, eating more power?

Thanks!
Mark Rejhon
Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Curious

Interesting. Probably the 1.33 overclocked to 1.80 at only 2.0 volts, would heat up less and consume less power than the Japanese Z540 at 2.4 volts. So it appears that we're not driving the Atom that hard at all...
Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

Intel has had a good track record of having a certain amount of overclock headroom on their CPUs.

At 1.80 OC, in CrystalMark, the System scores higher than the 1.86 in MEM due to the higher FSB.

oops, upon further research, it appears 2.4 is TDP, not voltage. The 1.33 and 1.86 processors use the same voltage

Last edited by empowering; 03-08-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Fan

Thanks for the guide~ Got my 1.33 running at 1.6. In real word I don't feel any performance increase running Win7. Maybe it's a GMA500 prob. The benchmark score is very similar to the 1.6ghz model. Crystalmark attached. My drive is a mtron mobi ssd.

Last edited by Jenn; 03-07-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Uploaded photo for you
Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Tech Fan

Might be worth noting that if you suspend under XP it seems to default back to 133Mhz and you need to re-apply the setting
Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Tech Addict

After playing around with SetFSB and checking out the CPU performance, I noticed something very weird: even in high performance mode, where the CPU power is set to 100% all the time, the CPU performance switches between 1 and 1.6 GHz all the time, it doesn't stay at a steady 1.6 GHz how it is supposed to stay in high performance mode.

Even if I start for example iTunes and play a video, the CPU performance falls back to 1 GHz, goes up to 1.33 GHz and actually stays at 1.33 GHz without going up to 1.6 GHz. I used Lavalys Everest 5.0 for testing because apparently none of the other programs show ANY CPU speed change, even with SetFSB.

So maybe the problem isn't only just the GMA 500 driver but also the Intel chipset driver who apparenly allows the CPU speed to be reduced, even in high performance mode. Shutting off energy saving completely doesn't improve things, same CPU speed fallback. Strange.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Fan

I have the same when playing back media via MPC, but it's because it's only using about 20% CPU usage. If you run something like SuperPi, the CPU stays @ 1.6 Ghz constantly, which you'd expect (checking via CPU-Z). Going back to Itunes, it looks to be more of a codec issue, without playing stuff via Itunes I could not tell . . .