Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Microsoft Windows Devices > Windows - Laptops, Ultrabooks, Tablets & UMPCs > Sony > Sony Vaio P > Vaio P Alternate Operating Systems

Vaio P Alternate Operating Systems Installing and using other operating systems

Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Curious

Default Re: GPS and WWAN in European P models w/Windows XP

THX! Tomorrw i'll check up GPS functions. All the other works correctly!

Last edited by tagunov; 03-19-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Curious

Hi guys
thanks a lot for all your support. would you please tell me what are the wwan drivers you all used. i tried to install some drivers but i still not see anything in control panel. i have installed the vaio wireless connection manager (green antenn) but i cannot see the wwan connection. thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Tech Curious

Btw thanks stephan everything is working perfect very very very nice work.

and that the function keys are working is a major bonus

thanks alot for information and Utiliitys
Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Curious

Hi!
Periodically there is a problem with the tool: after the launch of some applications that use GPS Utility does not work correctly. GPS and 3G are inactive, utility does not respond. It is able to fix by installing SmartWi and turning the device on-off of SmartWi. But in any case, satellites are not visible despite GPS is turn on. I use vaiop_wireless 0.0.3 beta2
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanamlappi View Post
Ich werde diese Tool dem Erstbesten der mir seine Emailadresse zukommen lässt zur Verfügung Stellen. Drerjenige soll es dann Uploaden und hier veröffentlichen!!! Stefan
Hi Stefan, I'd love to try it and post it to my server for everyone to try. I PM you my email adress

thanks
Phil
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by schezo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troca View Post

iam sorry icant c why this would work the software you linked to is a 5year old software for only controlling WLAN and Bluetooth so my question is how did you get GPRS and WWAN to work with this ?...
The version to support WWAN/GPS is here.
It may have some probrems because of the test version.
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~schezo/v...reless_b15.zip

Great work!

As I am in the UK I was able to remove the GOBI software documented in the downgrade process along with the smartwi program and I'm now using globalconnect and the great switching utility to switch between wifi/wwan/bluetooth/GPS and and working hotkeys also.

There's no way I'm going back to vista now

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Curious

Question Re: GPS and WWAN in European P models w/Windows XP

Thanks to everyone looking into these issues (clearly Sony are not!).

I've installed Windows 7 and tried the utility developed by schezo (v 0.0.3b2) but cannot seem to switch on the Gobi card as no Modem or GPS was being seen in the Device Manager.

When the Icon appears in the taskbar it only has an Exit, and a greyed out WAN option.

I was wondering if it needed some other Sony DLL or anything for it to see the card?

As I could not power it on, the GlobetrotterConnect (latest Ver) just reported 'No Device'.

I ended up installing Vaio SmartNetwork, and it was only able to switch on the Gobi Modem, by clicking on the GPS button. Weird or what! The WWAN button seems to just switch them both off.

Anyway, this was enough to permit the drivers for the modem to start installing. GlobalConnect seems to work. It just seems a shame that I cant get the modem to default to being switched on at Boot as it seems confused with the GPS.

Anyone got a clue whats going on?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Tech Curious

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downl...GB_cons&m=7410

SmartNetwork 2.2 has some success with GPS, although the points raise above are apparent; not showing WWAN as active even when it is after turning on GPS...

Using the latest drivers from Options website, just whack your IMEI in the search box:

http://www.option.com/en/support/software-download/
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by schezo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Telande View Post
- is it possibile to have both Wi-Fi and 3G switched on ?
Open vaiop_wireless.ini and write this setting.

;can WWAN interoperate with WLAN (0=no, 1=yes)
Interoperate=1

I don't know the reason why "VAIO Smart Network" software restricts concurrent use of WLAN and 3G.
But it may have had some reason, so take full responsibility for using this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Telande View Post
- Why did you separate WWAN and 3G ? Is it a technical issue ?
WWAN device has two features. (3G and GPS)
It's not the same as 3G.

WWAN - on or off WWAN device
3G - enable or disable 3G feature
GPS - enable or disable GPS feature

Because WWAN device recognition require some time, I prepare the following option.
This can be "WWAN:on / 3G:off / GPS:off".

;when 3G & GPS is turned off, it keeps the wwan device recognition in device manager.
KeepWWANDevice=1
Is it possible to write this utility for VAIO Z? I am really trying to get GPS and WLAN enabled concurrently, and this is the only app I have seen so far...
Old 05-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Thanks to everyone looking into these issues (clearly Sony are not!).

I've installed Windows 7 and tried the utility developed by schezo (v 0.0.3b2) but cannot seem to switch on the Gobi card as no Modem or GPS was being seen in the Device Manager.

When the Icon appears in the taskbar it only has an Exit, and a greyed out WAN option.

I was wondering if it needed some other Sony DLL or anything for it to see the card?

As I could not power it on, the GlobetrotterConnect (latest Ver) just reported 'No Device'.

I ended up installing Vaio SmartNetwork, and it was only able to switch on the Gobi Modem, by clicking on the GPS button. Weird or what! The WWAN button seems to just switch them both off.

Anyway, this was enough to permit the drivers for the modem to start installing. GlobalConnect seems to work. It just seems a shame that I cant get the modem to default to being switched on at Boot as it seems confused with the GPS.

Anyone got a clue whats going on?

I'm keen not to have the same problems and am about to install win 7. Can I ask what install method you used for windows 7- fresh install or update?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Curious

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance but I have fairly new to computers. I have a UK P series 60Gb Black model.

I downgraded to XP before coming across this site. I have SP3 and .Net 3.5 installed.

I would like to get the GPS and 3G modem working and the function keys. I have read and reread the previous threads but I am confused and don't know where to start to be honest.

1, Is it necessary to have the Smart Wi software installed?
2, Where can I get the drivers for the GPS and 3G modem?
3, I take it I need to install a 3rd party GPS software once modem is working? Would Microsoft Street and Trips be acceptable?
4, How do I get the function keys including volume/brightness working?
5, I have an O2 3G sim will this work on the P Series once I have the 3G modem working? Will I need any additional software to get it working?

Many Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Tech Curious

Well I got hold of the extractor and managed to install the Smart Wi Software.

3G modem works, then drops out and dosen't stay connected? Still haven't got the GPS unit detected.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Curious

finally got the GPS recongnised using the guide from Stefan. The only issue I have now is that I still cant get the hotkeys to work?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Curious

I installed Windows 7, but no GPS.. How to fix? I live in the Netherlands.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Curious

I have been reading this thread now for days, but I couldn't get my 3g and GPS work. I'm working with an European device - at least I bought it in Germany - and the xp-downgrade-pack from the Vaio website got installed without any problems. (wifi, volume/brightness/display-buttons work fine).

The only thing that does not work at all is the 3g device. Although I tried any driver disscussed here, the GlobetrotterConnect can't find any device at all - at least it says "device not found"... The control panel doesn't display any 3g device either.

What drivers exactly are needed to get the 3g/UMTS Modem detected by GlobetrotterConnect, after the installation of the xp-downgrade-pack from the Vaio website? Do I need xp SP2 or SP3 - the Sony site says SP2. I wonder, if this makes a difference?

Thanks for any Help,

Best Roland

Tags
wifi, wlan