Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Curious

Default Ordered my Kohjinsha SX3 SX3KX06MA

Thanks to Jenn and this website, I recently ordered my Kohjinsha SX3 SX3KX06MA computer from Conics based on several comments about how good Conics was. I also decided to step up to the Kohjinsha SX3 SX3KX06MA with the 8.9" screen, for my 42 year old eyes, and the internal DVD writer. Can't wait to get it!

Drew
Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Curious

Default Re: Ordered my Kohjinsha SX3 SX3KX06MA

As a side note, does anyone have a 1.8" hard drive that is compatible with the SX3 they can recommend? I would like to get a 120GB one.

Thanks again,
Drew
Old 04-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Curious

It came today! I've opened it up and started playing with it! It's awesome! And Conics.net is too. So glad I found this website.

Now to get a larger HD.

Drew
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Curious

Sorry I keep going on about it but this laptop rocks! I`m posting from it right now. This thing is sweet! I`m very pleased with the speed of it vs. my old EeePC which had a 1.6ghz Atom. I got mine with Win XP Home. Do not know if I need to get tablet edition or not.

Nice to be able to have 3 different memory cards in at one time!

Does anyone else have this model and if so what do you think about it or it`s smaller cousin the 7 inch?

Drew
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

I have the SC3 and really like how well they are built. I think they are very portable and on the plus side is they are Tablet PC. I like that when I'm reviewing my work documents I put it in tablet mode and hold it like a small paper back book and I'm able to mark up the page as if it was a notepad.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Zealot

Glad you're enjoying it, drewz21! I think there's some discussion about the upgrading the SC3 hard drive somewhere in the forum. I don't know off-hand if the SC3 and SX3 use the same kind of hard drive, but the info might be helpful.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Curious

Thanks Jenn. I'll search around. One of my favorite things so far about the SX3 is being able to use 3 different memory cards at one time. With an 8GB MicroSD, a 16GB SD, and a 16GB Memory Stick, I effectively increased my storage by 40GB! An amazing little machine!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Zealot

Wow, that's great! I never use memory cards as extra storage for some reason. I just use it for backups or transfers.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Curious

Installed 2GB of RAM in my SX3 yesterday. Made it a little bit faster but not amazingly so. Then again, the performance under WindowsXP is good anyway. I also tried out watching some DVD's on it yesterday. It was very nice having a touch-screen DVD player. Watched Wall-E and 40 Year Old Virgin. Played them both without a hitch!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Curious

Red face Re: Ordered my Kohjinsha SX3 SX3KX06MA

I ordered mine (same model) on 8/9, this past Sunday. I can't wait to get it! How long did it take to get yours? Do you like it? Is it worth the money you paid for it?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Curious

Thumbs up Re: Ordered my Kohjinsha SX3 SX3KX06MA

Let's see...Once I got through the payment garbage with conics.net (my banks' problem not them), I received it in three days - pretty impressive. Brett at conics.net is great to work with. The only issue that i have had is that initially the touchscreen would stop working if it went into standby once in a while, requiring a complete s/d & s/u. Brett suggested installing the Vista driver (i have XP on mine) and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I would recommend getting a 6-cell battery on ebay as I did and I get around 6 hours with webcam and other things turned off. The sound (speakers) are lame but what do you expect in such a compact unit. Works great and for business traveling, I am in heaven now - much easier.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Tech Curious

I was considering conics but then chose iknow.com.sg. Their unit comes with US keybord layout and Vista (what was not my preference though). They still have promotional price as of now.

As for HDD upgrade, I found Samsung HS122JC (5400rpm 120gb) from this seller. Make sure to google and understand how ZIF latch works before swapping (or ask me for photos). It's a really crap design (Hitachi LIF is much better) and I broke the latch, but finally managed to put it back. I'm now using old HDD as external USB one, with an enclosure from this seller.

Don't ask me if it feels any faster with new HDD - I didn't use the unit much before swapping, so can't compare. Vista's Windows Experience was rating old HDD as 4.1 and new one as 4.4. CPU is the bottleneck of the system according to Vista's ratings (even with stock HDD).
Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Dan View Post
Let's see...Once I got through the payment garbage with conics.net (my banks' problem not them), I received it in three days - pretty impressive. Brett at conics.net is great to work with. The only issue that i have had is that initially the touchscreen would stop working if it went into standby once in a while, requiring a complete s/d & s/u. Brett suggested installing the Vista driver (i have XP on mine) and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I would recommend getting a 6-cell battery on ebay as I did and I get around 6 hours with webcam and other things turned off. The sound (speakers) are lame but what do you expect in such a compact unit. Works great and for business traveling, I am in heaven now - much easier.
KC Dan thanks for the info. It took 2 weeks for mine to come. I also had an issue with my bank, but I guess I should be happy that they are being safe for my security rather than just letting anything go through. The post office was another story. I tracked my package everday (couldn't help it). I happened to be home on a Saturday and check on my package in the morning. It showed that it arrived in my city early that morning so I figured I would probably get it that afternoon. At 2:30pm I checked again, feeling a little dumb cause I was being so impaitient. Imagine my surprise when it showed that the status of my package was: "attempted delivery at 1:30pm, receiver not home, left note." No note was left and no delivery was attempted. My own personal opinion was that whoever the person was that was suppose to deliver my package had some special event to go to that night so they to it upon themselves to revise their schedule. I ended up going to the post office myself on Monday morning to pick it up. I love it!! I did get the 6 cell battering when I ordered it and you now have already answered my next question. I am also having the touchscreen problem as it just stops working. I'll have to try the driver. I hope it works and don't have anymore problems cause I love this little machine!!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz21 View Post
As a side note, does anyone have a 1.8" hard drive that is compatible with the SX3 they can recommend? I would like to get a 120GB one.

Thanks again,
Drew
drop a RunCore Pro-IV PATA ZIF SSD in there, you'll be surprised how much faster the PC gets

SX is very easy to upgrade the HDD, only 3 screws.

-Brett
Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Curious

The hard drive upgrade was very easy indeed. I got the 1.8" Samsung HS08XJC 80GB 5400 RPM ZIF PATA HDD installed today.

The annoying hard drive clicking noise is driving me crazy, so is the SSD the only way to get rid of this click click click noise?

I heard some clicking with the stock 60 GB Toshiba as well. But it got worse with the faster Samsung drive.

The good thing about my new Samsung HS08XJC: drive temperature does not exceed 43 degrees celsius with the HD Tune 2.55 error scan. The stock Toshiba drive got over 56 degrees with the same test and I got a warning from the system. I decided to cancel the test.

Last edited by StardustOne; 11-28-2009 at 09:49 AM.