Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Default ASUS ME572C

Bought a new tablet last night. On sale at Best Buy, good deal @ $149+ tax.
This ASUS ME572C is supposed to be the new version of the Nexus 7.
I bought it to play 1 game that my old Dell Streaks couldn't run reliably.
I will post more details in the next few days as I explore this device.
Important spec was the 2G RAM.
The next interesting spec is the 64bit processor.
Bonus spec, SD card slot.
So far, I do not regret the purchase, except when my wife comes home from vacation, I am going to have to somehow justify buying this device I did not need.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Re: ASUS ME572C

There seems to be a lot of Asus bloat installed.
I do not know how many apps are in the app drawer on a Nexus, but I count 56, not including the one I installed. Nearly half look like Google services.
There is a disable/ uninstall button, that presents a list of 25 apps, I can act on. Most of the Asus apps are not on that list, more Google, some 3rd party and whatever I installed.
Performance is not suffering. I am not into speed tests, just real use. My "obsolete" tablet crashed when just looking at my game, not even acting on it. I played for a while on the new one, with no issues.
Since I am juggling 3 devices at the moment, I have not put a lot of demand on any one device.
The Nokia Lumia 1520 continues to be my goto device. Though it is a couch pet until the Fire Phone is gone.
The Fire Phone is my non internet communication tool, and pocket phone. It is for sale, hopefully will go today if the CraigsList nibbles are any indication. I don't use it to surf much because I have the 1520 screen to rely on.
The Android tablet was an experiment to see if my Obsolete Dell Streak 7 could run Star Wars Commander. It did, but not reliably. Kept crashing. But I advanced far enough that I wanted to continue playing. So I researched tablets for the best affordable one I could get. I spent $50 more than intended, in order to get a device that will last 2 yrs+, spec wise.
I considered other devices, but ran into conflicting specs vs what was shown, and what was available to buy. Best Buy was the biggest offender. Specifically on the Acer Iconia tab 8.
I started with Pawn shops, looking for Nexus 7 2013, found one for $169, no charger, but otherwise perfect. They only wanted to give me $75 for the $200 Fire Phone, and I already knew about the $149 new tablet. I also had read too much about the Nexus 7, and was no longer willing to pay a premium for it. Hoping this new device fixed the issues the Nexus was having.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Battery life has been great coming from the Dell Streak 7. But considering how old that device was...
Last night, when I plugged it in, it had been on battery 18 hours. But to be fair, I was not on it heavy.
I installed the update on my Windows Phone. Denim. That took some attention.
Then I had to reset and sell the Fire Phone. Drive out in a snow storm to deliver it. Total time in the car, 4 1/2 hrs for a 2 hr round trip! Setting up my Windows Phone as I went along. Every time I tried to do something, I had to accept TOS and skip through or past a tutorial! But in the end, I sold the Fire Phone for $215 cash.

But the best part is when my Wife got home from Vacation. I waited hours to tell her I bought a New Tablet. I hadn't even pulled it out.
Of course the look on her face said I was sleeping on the couch, if I was lucky, in the snow if I didn't fast talk my way out of it. (bought the Fire Phone end of Nov '14, but already had a phone and a stack of devices out on the end table)
I started with, "I sold the Fire Phone" then I continued with how much the other tablets I was looking at cost. And then I finished with a whimper of how much I ended of spending "from my own pocket".
So it was a good feeling last night when I gave here $200+ cash. I also filled her gas tank so she wouldn't have to stand out in the cold, and I let her know.
At least I didn't have to sleep on the couch, fighting the dog for space, Again.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Battery use yesterday was more realistic. Off and on all day. Some heavy use. Still juggling 2 devices. Surfing more on the 1520, playing my game in-between on the ME572. 12+ hrs on battery.
So why am I still surfing on the 1520? I like the look and function of Internet Explorer over Chrome. And typing is easier on the 6" device vs the 7". I prefer Landscape orientation.
Generally I use mobile pages unless I am looking for full webpage functionality. Switching to desktop in Chrome restored some functionality.
So the biggest plus is the App store. I was missing having access to Google Play. I could be all set now. Sure I don't have a Nexus with it's legendary update availability. But once you get the update, what is there to look forward to, the next update?
Oh yeah, our cable service lost internet for an hour last night. My tablet was useless, my cellular connection was fairly slow, so we went to bed early. What else to do?
Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDEMASKUS View Post
So far, I do not regret the purchase, except when my wife comes home from vacation, I am going to have to somehow justify buying this device I did not need.
I know your pain. Seriously. I know your pain.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDEMASKUS View Post
I know your pain. Seriously. I know your pain.
Did you make it to paragraph 2 of post #3?

I have started priming her for a cell phone smartwatch. It would be "cheaper" than buying an off contract phone for "$650." I already have enough "companion tablets".
I have explained how we can never again buy a contract phone. Off contract, high end devices are always in my sights. I do my research before I buy, and I can usually get her on my side. (I have not spent more than $435 for an off contract device)
If I can get the watch before the useful life of my 1520 is gone, and the watch doesn't work out, I am not stuck.
The key to implementing my plan may hinge on replacing her device first. I have already primed her with the specs and cost of the new model of her device.
Too bad her phone works soo well, though technically, it is more than 2 yrs old.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Administrator

It sounds like you've got this all figured out!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I would like to think so too.
But the truth is, I do not know enough about the watches yet.
Need to start reading S Gear S forums.
looking forward to more devices. I hope more OEMs join in.
LG Urbane LTE is cool, but I like Gear S form, I just want to change the band.
More Sony SW3, but with a SIM card.
I imagine 3G data speed to be adequate, tether to my tablet, when needed, while Mobile.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 AM
Administrator

So my Wife broke her phone last night.
She refuses to use an adequate case, and the one she had on it, failed to protect from the fall.

Finally time for an upgrade right! No!
She wanted the same 2+ yr old device. I couldn't convince her the minor bump in specs was enough to spend an additional $200. I shouldn't have asked, and just bought the new one. Worried how long it will be useful. Windows 10 could help.

I did buy a better case, and a 2 yr protection plan.
If this device lasts 2 more yrs, it would beat out my Dell Streak 5 by more than 6 months, and that was totally limping for the last several months.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Wow, I hope it lasts! I think I'd rather gauge my eyes out than have to use a two year old device for the next two years...I'm spoiled, though!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Wow, I hope it lasts! I think I'd rather gauge my eyes out than have to use a two year old device for the next two years...I'm spoiled, though!
So far, the Windows devices do not show their age as much as Android did, for me.
The Windows updates seem to keep in mind the older, lower spec WP8 devices, VS say IOS or Android.
Yeah, I know WP7, and how the uninformed users got burned.
But as far as WP8+, Microsoft seems to want to keep us running.
All of our current Windows devices are eligible for Windows 10.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Good point. I love how Microsoft is making Windows 10 a FREE upgrade for basically any device that's capable of running it. This signals a new direction within Microsoft, IMO.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 AM
Administrator

This morning I received the notification that Lollipop was ready to install.
While preparing the Asus I noticed nothing is being saved to the SD card. (photos, videos, screenshots, apps)
I uploaded 11 photos to Google Drive, then cut and pasted a video from internal memory to the SD so I wouldn't lose them. Then I made sure I was logged into my games to make sure I didn't lose progress, before installing the update, and then running a Factory Reset.

When I am done with the update, I will search harder to find settings to allow new "files" to be saved to the SD.
It would be a shame if Google disallows files saved to SD by default.

By comparison, when I install an SD in my Windows Phones, it asks me if I want to use it as my storage location for new "files" and apps.
Why Yes, I do, Thank You Microsoft.