Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Default Keyboard issue, wondering if anyone's heard of it

I have two PCs, they're the same, motherboard bios revision hard drive setup, keyboard, etc.

Both upgraded to Windows 10. Both seem fine with the upgrade except my work machine the keyboard will randomly disconnect and I'll hear a sound and the three or four characters I've typed will not come through. It'll then reconect and work for a while.

I swapped out USB ports, even putting the keyboard on a chain that if it disconnected due to a USB fault I'd know. Nope. Still disconnects randomly.

Other thing is the NUM Lock will go from on to off after about 10-15 seconds of not touching the keyboard.

If I happened to be pressing control, alt, or shift, when the keyboard shuts off, that key will show as stuck when the keyboard comes back on. I'll have to unlock it by pressing it again.

I'm not the only one having these issues either, however everywhere I've seen this issue the people attempting to help seem to gloss over the issues (such as new keyboard, or USB ports were changed, or that it's a wired not wireless keyboard) so I'm hoping some Pocketables peoples might help out.

never had this issue before, there're no event logs indicating a crash that I can find, this is a brand new keyboard, the drivers are the same as my home computer... etc.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Keyboard issue, wondering if anyone's heard of it

Have you tried the keyboard on another computer? Do the problems travel? Replace the keyboard.
Are you having problems on only one computer, but have tried multiple keyboards? Reinstall Drivers?
No I have not had issues that did not require replacing the keyboard.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

At the time I posted this I'd tried two separate keyboards, I've now tried three.

All have the same issue... they just seem to disconnect. They don't have issue on any other Windows 10 machine. They all appear to be using the same driver, but I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.

I checked and on other machines the caps, num, scroll lock does not turn off after five seconds on any of the keyboards. It's like it's entering some sort of power saving mode or the USB is turning off just for that one device.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:26 AM
Tech Curious

In case you haven't solved the issue you yet, it looks like it may be a power saving problem:

http://felixwong.com/2015/03/solved-...nection-sound/

There are instructions part way down the page for changing the power saving settings in Win 10 (via Device Manager).

Rufus.