Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Curious

Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static
Default Apple iPad Who will buy it?

Today was the unveiling of the much anticipated tablet of all. The Apple iPad. I lot of people have been disappointed coz it's not what they expect. A gigantic iPhone/iPod touch. Well, they are not gonna be disappointed if they did not expect too much. I am fine with it. I like screen real estates. I loved the Iphone. I did a lot of things with it. I will like the iPad more since it's bigger. Price point is not so bad.

Now, I talk to a lot of people on the blogosphere and here are their comments.

iPad fail coz...
4:3 aspect ratio
no multitasking
no webcam for video calls
it's basically a big iPhone
What's the point of having an iPad.
My tablet PC can do a lot more
blah blah blah.

First of all, they use 4:3 aspect ratio to make use of the existing 140K apps. I like the Idea. We don't need to wait for the Apps to be developed. The Apps are already there and most of us have it ready on our itunes. When Palm pre was released, it has 12 Apps on their App store which hurt the sales of the phone a lot. now they have 1000 app. Are You kidding me? LOL

No multitasking.
The jailbroken iPhone and iPod touch have a third party multi tasking apps. Since iPad is using the same Apps, it will most likely work on the iPad too. So if iPhone users survived it, iPad users will.

No webcam.
iPhone and iPod touch does not have one either. yet, users are fine with it. If your into Skype or Video calling guys, too bad, Apple forgot about you.

What's the point of having an iPad?
Well, what's the point of having a kindle? Millions and millions are sold. iPad made it better. Does kindle failed?
A lot of people was so excited when the crunchpad was announced. Chunchpad only does 1 thing. It's not mobile even. A lot more got disappointed on it's demise. It then became joojoo. From the price standpoint for a device that does only one thing, it's too expensive. iPad have it's capability plus so much more. So why does iPad fail now?
The best games are played on the biggest screen. Some complain about thier handheld gaming device needs to have a bigger screen. Now Apple gave them iPad, haters said,"FAIL!" LOL.
Some haters even say, why do U need accelerometer on the iPAd. It's useless. I said, How do U control games on Your phone? Dpad? LOL. Welcome to the stone age.
Plus the GPS,MultiTouch, compass as a bonus, How can U say iPad failed?

Their tablet PC can do a lot more. Cmon man. Ur comparing a full OS against a Mobile OS. If You want a tablet PC comparable Apple product. Look for Axiotron Modbook pro. It has 15.4" display and run a full MAc OSX. then tell me if Your tablet PC can do better.
iPAd is more of a Android/Wince/WM6.5 MID level. it should be comapared to those. Now tell me, What MID that runs mobile OS is better?
Oh wait! Yeah... this one!

Would anyone be interested with this? ...

Those are just few things in my head. I know that iPad is not the ultimate tablet. But it will do what it have like no other device can.I'll be getting one for sure. Game on!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Obsessed

Default Re: Apple iPad Who will buy it?

I don't really like iPad. Here are few reasons.

1) It's too big for me. With that size I'd want a pivoting keyboard. With that size I might just aswell carry a netbook that can do more.
2) No flash! That is web consuming device and lack of flash is going to hurt that a lot.
3) It's not really an e-book device. The screen isn't good for it. It would need pixel qi for that.
4)No multitasking! I don't think I have to explain that.
5)Battery-life isn't any better than on new netbooks.
6)No webcam. I guess skype and video conference is out of the question then. Is there even a mic?
7)Price. Compaired to netbooks or android MIDS or tablets that price is still high.
8)As a gaming device I prefer a real keyboard

Also I think that the choice of OS is not a reason not to compare it to a "full" OS when you can get it in the same size device.

Conclusion: Wait for something with a new snapdragon or tegra2 in it with 5 to 7" screen, possibly pixel-qi for optimal e-reading experience and outdoor usability. Then you get propably more powerful device with same battery-life, OS that can multitask and of course you get to carry it in a pocket, atleast jacket pocket for 7" device...

Last edited by osssyvan; 01-27-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: point 8
Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Addict

The iPad will be a huge success, same as the iPhone.
You shouldn't look at the hardware only, you need to look at the whole iTunes/iPhone/iPod/iPad concept which works absolutely great for Apple AND the consumers.
I own a jailbreaked and unlocked iPhone 3GS and I always surprise people of what this little baby can do. Most of these clowns usually think that the iPhone is just stylish and trendy but not really useful. I prove them wrong each and every time.

The iPad won't be different. The same criticism hit the iPhone when Apple announced it but look how much success the iPhone had. The iPad will have the same or even more success, especially since it's price tag is also very interesting and highly competitive.

Yes, I'm going to get the iPad, not only one, not two but four, one of them with 3G. Why ? it is the perfect gadget for my two kids, my wife and of course for me.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Tech Obsessed

rennteam, I think they keyword here is jailbreak... You need to jailbreak it to get all out of it. Most users don't want to do that to their devices as it voids warranty even if you can restore it back to get warranty back.

For me the whole Apple software hardware symbiosis hasn't been so great. I always felt that iTunes was slow and clunky. Just to get music to my ipod was pain. Luckily there was winamp plugin for that. Also I'd like to drag and drop music to my player. Other thing is that I do not want to do is convert my wma's to apple approved format. Every other player supports wma aswell.

And I just noticed that is that ipad missing usb and card reader?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

sorry but no flash support, no webcam, no usb or sd card slot, no multi tasking is considered for me a complete failure.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpcaddict View Post
sorry but no flash support, no webcam, no usb or sd card slot, no multi tasking is considered for me a complete failure.
There is no support for flash on any Mobile OS MID that is out. Only full OS'es HAve Flash support.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by osssyvan View Post
I don't really like iPad. Here are few reasons.

1) It's too big for me. With that size I'd want a pivoting keyboard. With that size I might just aswell carry a netbook that can do more.
2) No flash! That is web consuming device and lack of flash is going to hurt that a lot.
3) It's not really an e-book device. The screen isn't good for it. It would need pixel qi for that.
4)No multitasking! I don't think I have to explain that.
5)Battery-life isn't any better than on new netbooks.
6)No webcam. I guess skype and video conference is out of the question then. Is there even a mic?
7)Price. Compaired to netbooks or android MIDS or tablets that price is still high.
8)As a gaming device I prefer a real keyboard

Also I think that the choice of OS is not a reason not to compare it to a "full" OS when you can get it in the same size device.

Conclusion: Wait for something with a new snapdragon or tegra2 in it with 5 to 7" screen, possibly pixel-qi for optimal e-reading experience and outdoor usability. Then you get propably more powerful device with same battery-life, OS that can multitask and of course you get to carry it in a pocket, atleast jacket pocket for 7" device...
Apple A4 uses the same Chip as the tegra2. So as far as CPU is concerned, iPad and any other tegra2 devces are on top.

You have to see the ebook capability od the iPad and you will see that it's the best ebook reader out there.

MSI will release a 10" Android device running tegra2. Would it be a hit? Android is ported to almost any kind of devices and screen sizes. It will not revolutionize the tablet/MID/Slate scene as we can see right now.

Yes, iPad have a mic. And according to some reports, It might have GSM voice capability. Coz on the SDK, somebody discovered "touch to return call" button on top of the emulator.

According to UMPC portal, iPad with 3G has a GPS chip in it. It is capable of A-GPS and GPS. Which is bonus.

Have a look at these hands on on the iPad. I've never seen a device respond like that. So smooth and so fast.

http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-hands-...video-2771668/
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Obsessed

Some reports actually say the processor is cortex a8 based and not a9 like tegra2. I am waiting confirmation on that. I also bet tegra has better graphics . If it is cortex a9 based then the performance might be impressive but not any better than other devices will give. And lack of multitask will give illusion of more speedy device than a device capable of multitasking.

The e-book part isn't any better than on any other device with lcd as it uses backlight. In the end I don't see GPS that important on that size device as I feel the device too big for car navigation for example and on foot I'd rather use my small smartphone. Added features are not bad though. 3G just costs quite a lot more and using that micro-sim isn't nice at all if you ask me

Also flash is coming to almost every other OS than iphone OSX and they are using hardware acceleration for smooth operation. And there is limited flash on quite many devices with mobile os already .

But one thing good about ipad is that it might make tablets more desirable by "normal" people making in my opinion better machines cheaper and more readily available.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennteam View Post
The iPad will be a huge success, same as the iPhone.
You shouldn't look at the hardware only, you need to look at the whole iTunes/iPhone/iPod/iPad concept which works absolutely great for Apple AND the consumers.
I own a jailbreaked and unlocked iPhone 3GS and I always surprise people of what this little baby can do. Most of these clowns usually think that the iPhone is just stylish and trendy but not really useful. I prove them wrong each and every time.

The iPad won't be different. The same criticism hit the iPhone when Apple announced it but look how much success the iPhone had. The iPad will have the same or even more success, especially since it's price tag is also very interesting and highly competitive.

Yes, I'm going to get the iPad, not only one, not two but four, one of them with 3G. Why ? it is the perfect gadget for my two kids, my wife and of course for me.

Can U buy me one too?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM

I'll be getting the 64GB/3g model the day it hits the streets. After seeing what can be done with my jailbroken 3GS, this is the next logical step and I have no doubt that it will be quickly jailbroken, as well.

I'll have to admit, I don't like the missing Flash and multitasking, but it's not close to a dealbreaker. The missing webcam is so overblown by people who just want to find something negative with an Apple product.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Quote:
There is no support for flash on any Mobile OS MID that is out. Only full OS'es HAve Flash support.
Maemo?

And most devices of that size runs desktop operative systems, for good and bad, but that does include flash.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs
Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Quote:
Maemo?

And most devices of that size runs desktop operative systems, for good and bad, but that does include flash.
Maemo can run flash yeah. But how many devices that are running maemo out there?

The point is, People now are asking for a device that will be instant on whenever they want to check for an email real quick.That is just one example. A desktop OS will have to boot for a couple of minutes. connect to the internet. open a browser. log in and out just to check if the email is in or not.

On devices like iPad, You can do all in less than a minute. That is why MSI is releasing a similar product that runs Android and 10" screen. I am sure, A lot will follow Apples lead.

Last edited by jethro_static; 01-29-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Curious

Multi tasking on Iphone and Ipod Touch. I think the Idea is great. They took it from Palm Pre. If the iPad can be Jailbroken, I am sure the goodies will start to flow.

I wanna see this on the iPad. I can already imagine. Bring it On!

Last edited by jethro_static; 01-29-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
I'll be getting the 64GB/3g model the day it hits the streets. After seeing what can be done with my jailbroken 3GS, this is the next logical step and I have no doubt that it will be quickly jailbroken, as well.

I'll have to admit, I don't like the missing Flash and multitasking, but it's not close to a dealbreaker. The missing webcam is so overblown by people who just want to find something negative with an Apple product.
Seriously? I mean, I'm underwhelmed because for the price you're going to pay, I can get a netbook with a webcam, that can do flash, has more internal storage, can multi-task, and has expandable storage as well. And I'll still have enough cash left over to accesorize my netbook.

The only thing missing from the netook is a touch screen.

I don't know Chris. I just expected more. I mean, I'm sure it will fit into the Apple ecosystem quite well. And while I'm not a fan of Apple products in general, I do give credit when credit is due. If this thing was running a full OS, perhaps. But as it stands, at the price points they want to hit, it just doesn't add up to me. It really just seems to be an over sized iPod Touch.....