Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Obsessed

Default Re: Apple iPad Who will buy it?

I definitely won't buy the iPad. Even if I forget all the technical drawbacks - no camera, no SD(HC) slot, no USB host, no multitasking, restricted usage etc., there is one strong reason not to get one.

The form factor is totally unpractical. It's not pocketable at all, while only offers features that every high-end phone has. It is about as portable as any other 10" netbook, while the netbooks offer much more for less money.

1) Phone - There is a clear use for a phone with 3"-4" display. It will fit in every pocket and allow restricted (because of the small screen) Internet browsing, game playing and multimedia consumption.

2 MID - Also a 5"-6" MID (some call it UMPC) has a clear use scenario. It will fit in a bigger pocket and allows a much better Internet experience including Flash support. Also watching movies or reading eBooks is already much more comfortable. It can be used also for car navigation, where phones suffer from to small displays. Also MIDs/UMPCs allow you to almost replace a netbook if you extend them with a keyboard and a mouse. You can use you favorite desktop applications on them. I used to have a Viliv S5, which is an almost perfect device.

3) Notebook - It allows full desktop PC experience except of playing games (OK, there are some gaming notebooks, but those are rather rarities). You can get very small and light netbooks or you can have huge laptops, almost like a portable PC. You can choose from thousands of configurations which one suits your needs best.

iPad simply doesn't fit between these categories and doesn't offer anything more then these devices. For some people ithe iPad is a nice toy, I understand it. But for the vast majority it's completely useless.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Technophile

Send a message via Skype™ to Muka

There is no way I'd ever buy the iPad in it's current form. If I'm going to carry a 10 inch 1.5lb device around in a bag, I would least want the power and functionality of a netbook, and NOT a king-size iPod Touch.

I guess it might be OK for a bit of armchair browsing, but even then it falls flat on it's face for many websites due to the lack of Flash.

No thinks Apple, I'm staying with my Vaio P.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Curious

Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by jech View Post
I definitely won't buy the iPad. Even if I forget all the technical drawbacks - no camera, no SD(HC) slot, no USB host, no multitasking, restricted usage etc., there is one strong reason not to get one.

The form factor is totally unpractical. It's not pocketable at all, while only offers features that every high-end phone has. It is about as portable as any other 10" netbook, while the netbooks offer much more for less money.

1) Phone - There is a clear use for a phone with 3"-4" display. It will fit in every pocket and allow restricted (because of the small screen) Internet browsing, game playing and multimedia consumption.

2 MID - Also a 5"-6" MID (some call it UMPC) has a clear use scenario. It will fit in a bigger pocket and allows a much better Internet experience including Flash support. Also watching movies or reading eBooks is already much more comfortable. It can be used also for car navigation, where phones suffer from to small displays. Also MIDs/UMPCs allow you to almost replace a netbook if you extend them with a keyboard and a mouse. You can use you favorite desktop applications on them. I used to have a Viliv S5, which is an almost perfect device.

3) Notebook - It allows full desktop PC experience except of playing games (OK, there are some gaming notebooks, but those are rather rarities). You can get very small and light netbooks or you can have huge laptops, almost like a portable PC. You can choose from thousands of configurations which one suits your needs best.

iPad simply doesn't fit between these categories and doesn't offer anything more then these devices. For some people ithe iPad is a nice toy, I understand it. But for the vast majority it's completely useless.
I understand your opinion. But if we are gonna follow Your logic, We will never move forward. All the devices you mentioned are already here for years. What happend to it? The interaction is the same ever since. The functionalities are the same. The only thing that is evolving on those devices are the hardware specs. That is why the UMPC and tablets scene never took off. Apple is driving it on a different direction and everyone follows that direction, which will only be good for consumers. Now, we have JooJoo, ICD Gemini and a lot more devices tagging along. Desktop OS is not a good option for tablets ATM coz it drains battery and is too heavy to have a fluid user interaction. Maybe in the future it will be a good option. But as of now, Apple is leading the way. I am not trying to convince you to buy an iPad. If it's not for you, It's not for you. But selling 450,000 units as of today does not say it's useless to everyone.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Obsessed

You say that these segments exists for a log time. That's no true. It's not that long when nobody heard about netbooks. Now you see them everywhere. The new HW allowed to make cheap, small, light and energy efficient notebook. It changed the whole segment, Microsoft had to resuscitate XP and come with W7 really fast. Programmers started to care about HW resources again.

The MID segment hasn't in fact started yet. There are some devices like Viliv S5, Eking S515 and others. But most of them have some serious drawbacks and are not customer ready yet. Both Intel and ARM were not able to deliver what they promissed already 2 years ago. The devices are in the first place too big, use too much energy are not that powerful as expected.

Desktop OS is for me the best choice on tablet devices. It's not true that it drains battery to much. For example the Viliv S5 can last for 6 hours of usage with WinXP. The advantages of desktop OS are clear - you can use any of your favorite application. Of course there are thousands of applications in the Apple or Google market, but is there anything that can compare to Firefox/Opera/Chrome, OpenOffice/Abiword/KOffice, Gwenview/XnView, GIMP, Hugin, FBReader/yBook, VLC/SMPlayer/MPC-HC, XBMC/Moovida, AmaroK, Krusader/Double Commander etc. No, there are no applications even close to the ones I mentioned, and furthermore all of these programs are free (usually opensource).

What I'm waiting for is something like Viliv S5, with much smaller case, SDXC slot and HDMI output. I would prefer a x86 based CPU because of compatibility, but most applications were already ported to ARM too. But Linux or Windows is the only option for me.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
You say that these segments exists for a log time. That's no true. It's not that long when nobody heard about netbooks. Now you see them everywhere. The new HW allowed to make cheap, small, light and energy efficient notebook. It changed the whole segment, Microsoft had to resuscitate XP and come with W7 really fast. Programmers started to care about HW resources again.

The MID segment hasn't in fact started yet. There are some devices like Viliv S5, Eking S515 and others. But most of them have some serious drawbacks and are not customer ready yet. Both Intel and ARM were not able to deliver what they promissed already 2 years ago. The devices are in the first place too big, use too much energy are not that powerful as expected.

Desktop OS is for me the best choice on tablet devices. It's not true that it drains battery to much. For example the Viliv S5 can last for 6 hours of usage with WinXP. The advantages of desktop OS are clear - you can use any of your favorite application. Of course there are thousands of applications in the Apple or Google market, but is there anything that can compare to Firefox/Opera/Chrome, OpenOffice/Abiword/KOffice, Gwenview/XnView, GIMP, Hugin, FBReader/yBook, VLC/SMPlayer/MPC-HC, XBMC/Moovida, AmaroK, Krusader/Double Commander etc. No, there are no applications even close to the ones I mentioned, and furthermore all of these programs are free (usually opensource).

What I'm waiting for is something like Viliv S5, with much smaller case, SDXC slot and HDMI output. I would prefer a x86 based CPU because of compatibility, but most applications were already ported to ARM too. But Linux or Windows is the only option for me.
You tell me how long XP has been on tablets? Go ahead I'll wait.

OK, I will tell you, ALmost a decade! Tablets and netbooks only change their sizes and form factors but it still has the same brain. For almost a decade, Tablet computing did not go anywhere. Now notebooks became smaller and suddendy it became different? What is the difference between a netbook and a notebook aside from the size? What does netbook can do that my 7 year old notebook cannot?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Apple didn't design the iPad to fit between an existing category, they are creating their own category that many other manufacturers will be forced to adapt their products to. That's how Apple has always worked, they define the path to take. The first weekend sales of 450,000 clearly shows that for the vast majority the iPad is a nice toy, and for some people it's completely useless.

I bought a 16GB WiFi model on launch day only because I couldn't stand to wait another 3 weeks for my preordered 64GB 3G model to arrive, and I am keeping both. My computers have been very lonely this week, but they have been good dust collectors
Old 04-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
Quote:
Apple didn't design the iPad to fit between an existing category, they are creating their own category that many other manufacturers will be forced to adapt their products to. That's how Apple has always worked, they define the path to take. The first weekend sales of 450,000 clearly shows that for the vast majority the iPad is a nice toy, and for some people it's completely useless.

I bought a 16GB WiFi model on launch day only because I couldn't stand to wait another 3 weeks for my preordered 64GB 3G model to arrive, and I am keeping both. My computers have been very lonely this week, but they have been good dust collectors
I'll buy ur WiFi model for a discounted price
Old 04-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Technophile

Send a message via Skype™ to Muka

Quote:
Apple didn't design the iPad to fit between an existing category, they are creating their own category that many other manufacturers will be forced to adapt their products to.
Thing is I just can't see what this new category actually will be. I just see it been used as a nice looking coffee table device, for some occasional browsing and casual gaming, and nothing more.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muka View Post
Quote:
Apple didn't design the iPad to fit between an existing category, they are creating their own category that many other manufacturers will be forced to adapt their products to.
Thing is I just can't see what this new category actually will be. I just see it been used as a nice looking coffee table device, for some occasional browsing and casual gaming, and nothing more.
If you think of iPad that way, The JooJoo and all android based Tablets will fall into that "nothing more"category as well.

iPad is not marketed to replace or compete with your notebook. It is a link between your phone and your laptop. If your at home, and you want a quick peek at your facebook,stock,twitter, or prolly wanted to kill time playing games while waiting for your laundry, That's where devices like iPad with lighter OS comes in. You don't need to boot your PC or whatever coz the iPad is meant to stay "ON" like what your phone does. But the advantage is the bigger screen which is more comfortable doing those stuffs. If you think your phone can do it already and your fine with it, Then you don't need an iPad. But saying that devices like iPad does not need to exist is not fair. Future Computing can learn from this, Or start from this. It is called evolution.

People say it's useless coz iPad is just a big iPhone/iPod touch. Can You say the sword is useless coz it's just a big knife?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

the very ideology of this category specific computing is just an excuse for companies to sell more junk, nothing more. I thought we were progressing to an era of convergence not divergence.

so they say we need a device optimized as a link between laptop and desktop today, tomorrow they'll say we need a link between the ipad and laptop, then another device between ipad and desktop. lol nice try at manufacturing BS demand.

how about actually engineer a device that can replace two or more devices? oh wait, that would lower company revenue, wouldn't it?

try anchoring your goals on improving lives 1st, instead of Jobs pocket book.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Obsessed

i wouldnt buy it. i dont need one
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by empowering View Post
the very ideology of this category specific computing is just an excuse for companies to sell more junk, nothing more. I thought we were progressing to an era of convergence not divergence.

so they say we need a device optimized as a link between laptop and desktop today, tomorrow they'll say we need a link between the ipad and laptop, then another device between ipad and desktop. lol nice try at manufacturing BS demand.

how about actually engineer a device that can replace two or more devices? oh wait, that would lower company revenue, wouldn't it?

try anchoring your goals on improving lives 1st, instead of Jobs pocket book.
First things first, Nobody said we"need" it. We are adults that can make a decision for ourselves.

I think nobody will ever consider your idea in a business or technological advancement stand point. The way I understand your logic is that developers shouldn't make money and only make the consumer happy? Or Let me reprhase that. A developer shouldn't make a lot of money and make sure the consumer is happy? Nobody will be interested to make the technology better if they would not make any money out of it. Bill gates never intended to make you happy and make himself broke.

I will tell you what, These developers are driven by the profit they're gonna make if they make the technology better. They will fill up the in betweens to make extra cash if they have to. Consumers decide if they wanna give them their money to these "in betweens". The iPads success or any other device does not rely on the device. It's with the consumers who buys it. In 1 week, 450,000 people voted, It's not useless.

Last edited by jethro_static; 04-09-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPotato View Post
i wouldnt buy it. i dont need one
I think this would be the best answer.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

and this would be its best use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by empowering View Post
and this would be its best use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko
I think your suffering from what they call envy. I think the idea you wanna point out is that, You don't like it, everyone shouldn't have it?