Go Back   Pocketables Forum > Other Platforms & Gadgets > Smartphones & Internet Devices

Smartphones & Internet Devices Android, Windows Phone 7, iPhone, Nokia Internet Tablets, Archos, and others

Old 07-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Thumbs up How to put your iPhone / iPod Touch into DFU mode

WARNING:
This tutorial will show you how to put your iPhone/Pod Touch into DFU mode. Please try this at your own risk, as I am not responsible or will not be held accountable for any damages done to your phone. Although there may be a resolution to almost all errors, please read the instructions carefully when downgrading so you won’t encounter any problems along the way.

DFU mode = Device Firmware Update mode

DFU mode is a mode where the iPod Touch/iPhone will be made to force a restore of the firmware into whatever version firmware it is given.

Getting your iPod Touch/iPhone into DFU mode is somewhat tricky, and it may require some patience/practice because timing is essential to get it to DFU mode and not into recovery mode.

1. First, Open up iTunes, plug in your iPod Touch/iPhone to the CPU's USB port. Turn on your CPU's speaker and make sure it is loud enough that you can hear it.

2. Hold down the Home button (top left for iPod Touch and top right for the iPhone with the screen facing you) and the Power button (located on the front bottom of your iPod Touch/iPhone) simutaneously, until the screen goes black and the device turns off. (past the red slider/slide to power off screen)

3. Now let go of the Power button, but continue to hold the Home button. Your iPod Touch/iPhone should have turned off and the screen should not be on.

4. After around ~10-20 seconds, you will hear a noise (beep/ding) from your CPU as if it had just recognized a new hardware device, now iTunes should recognize it in DFU mode.

5. After iTunes recognizes the iPod Touch/iPhone, let go of the Home button otherwise it will go into recovery mode and you will have to do the entire DFU process over again.

6. You will know when you have put your iPod Touch/iPhone correctly into DFU mode when the display is blank and that you do not have anything on your device.

And you are done, now you can install any iPod Touch/iPhone firmware on to your device via the iTunes SHIFT recovery method.

Last edited by Blitz50; 07-19-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Curious

Default Re: How to put your iPhone / iPod Touch into DFU mode

iPhone DFU mode is required to make install a new firmware, and DFU is now only required with old version of iphone (2G) however the latest version automatically shift the mode to DFU.

While using latest version of qwkpwn or winpwn, I have experienced that the software guides you fpr the DFU mode so that it runs the firmware on your iphone 2G.

Watch video to shift mode to DFU

Ronnie Williams

Last edited by Blitz50; 02-17-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Obsessed

Note this doesnt work with MC Models
Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Curious

I've tried doing this but it won't work and I really have no clue what's up with my iPod

When i connect it to iTunes, it makes the beep noise to show that it has been recognised however this message comes up on the screen:

And regardless of whether my iPod is connected or not, this is the image that it displays when turned on:

So obviously I can't enter the password I'm being told to enter because that image won't go away!
I've tried DFU mode a few times but it's not changing anything.

Please help
Old 10-31-2010, 01:56 AM
Tech Curious

I have the same problem!
Have you found a solution for it yet?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Curious

thank you very much to this. specially the vid, got my itouch up and running again
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Curious

can you help me please, im trying to jailbreak my ipod touch 3g on 4.2.1 firmware, so redsn0w needs me to put my ipod into dfu mode but every time i try to do it my ipod just starts up normally every single time. I dont know whats wrong...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepurple View Post
can you help me please, im trying to jailbreak my ipod touch 3g on 4.2.1 firmware, so redsn0w needs me to put my ipod into dfu mode but every time i try to do it my ipod just starts up normally every single time. I dont know whats wrong...
Same for me i got an ipod touch 3g in 4.2.1 fw and it doesnt dfu mode
but i know i can do the method cause i've done it with an iPad, iPhone and iPod touch4g
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Curious

Angry Re: How to put your iPhone / iPod Touch into DFU mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodFatherH4X View Post
Quote:
but i know i can do the method cause i've done it with an iPad, iPhone and iPod touch4g
yah when i tried doing the first method posted where you connect ti itunes etc. when i press the power and home buttons my ipod just takes a screenshot, then nothing happens. I've tried about 100 times but it just does the same thing over and over
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Curious

omg internetimm17, the whole reason that a posted a comment is because that procedure doesn't work... my ipod just starts up normally when i try that.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Curious

Angry Re: How to put your iPhone / iPod Touch into DFU mode

Hi Internetimm17,
Any other suggestions?? All I get is "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode". I can't seem to get it into DFU mode no matter what I try and at this rate this peice of crap will be flying out of a four storey building shortly.
Technology is great... when it works !!
My unit is an 8Gb iPod touch 1G that only ever gives the USB connection symbol and nothing else. If I try to restore I get varying errors, usually 1603 or 1604 neither of which are very helpfull. And I've tried every suggestion under the sun that is listed on Google.
So, I'm open to any ideas that you may have, including going out and buying a Phillips MP3 player !!!!
If no response is received in 5 days the unit will be flying.
yours... totally pi$$ed off with iPods
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Please disregard internetimm17's post, which has been deleted. He is a spammer pretending to post a legitimate post. That's why his instructions don't work.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodFatherH4X View Post
Quote:
yah when i tried doing the first method posted where you connect ti itunes etc. when i press the power and home buttons my ipod just takes a screenshot, then nothing happens. I've tried about 100 times but it just does the same thing over and over
Same dude does anyone know the solution?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Curious

Unhappy Re: How to put your iPhone / iPod Touch into DFU mode

I have the same problem. I had a jailbroken iTouch 3g (downgraded from 4.2.1 to 4.1). Decided to reset (without iTunes) one day and BAM! The apple logo and the spinny wheel of death. I can only get the iTouch into recovery mode, but not DFU mode.

So far not even my computer can recognize the iTouch's hard drive I posted this complaint on another forum here:http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthre...41#post2624341

EDIT: I got it into DFU mode. But my computer still won't even detect the device. My iTouch does charge though when plugged in.

Last edited by dsx9069; 04-03-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi$$ed off iPod user View Post
Hi Internetimm17,
Any other suggestions?? All I get is "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode". I can't seem to get it into DFU mode no matter what I try and at this rate this peice of crap will be flying out of a four storey building shortly.
Technology is great... when it works !!
My unit is an 8Gb iPod touch 1G that only ever gives the USB connection symbol and nothing else. If I try to restore I get varying errors, usually 1603 or 1604 neither of which are very helpfull. And I've tried every suggestion under the sun that is listed on Google.
So, I'm open to any ideas that you may have, including going out and buying a Phillips MP3 player !!!!
If no response is received in 5 days the unit will be flying.
yours... totally pi$$ed off with iPods
Just Proceed with the jailbreak or the firmware update, DFU mode and Recovery mode are the same thing, all you do is hold shift on the restore option (in itunes) and click restore to select the firmware or jailbreak file to install...I don't recommend doing this, Greenpoison and other already designed softwares are more dependable.

Tags
dfu mode, iphone, ipod touch