Old 08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default Aigo P8860 Over view

So far the Aigo is performing very nicely, and is operating on Midinux. Itís quick with all the programs that they include some just take 2 seconds or so to load. It boots up in about 35 seconds, so you can be ready to use any of the programs. From standby it takes about 9 seconds; was hoping this would have been faster as some Vista laptops can only take 4 seconds. Holding the Aigo in your hands is comfortable either in closed or with the slider open. Iím still getting use to the keyboard and the slider style as I have not owned a slider type computer. The Aigo is very pocket able. The product is well design doesnít really feel cheap or look cheap. Also the battery fits tight so itís not loose inside the device. The white plastic is very glossy and finger prints donít show at all; maybe if you look very carefully you can. The sound from the speaker sounds very good for just having a mono speaker sounds loud and clear. The slider is pretty good doesnít have to much play when sliding or when closed, just a little on the left side but I think this is normal on slider type. The unit I got came with two batteries but I donít think they are supposed to come with two batteries. The battery is 3.7v 2700mAh /9.99Wh and I have been getting around 2 hrs 50 minutes on each battery with Wi-Fi and BT on. With both batteries I should be able to get more then 5hrs of mobile computing; just about what I get on my Fujitsu U810. It has 4 different Themes Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. The look is transparent similar like Vista Aero Glass which looks very nice. You can create your own short cuts you want so you donít have to go through the programs. The device gets warm using it, but never gets hot to where you couldnít hold it. It does get hotter when charging and you use it or have it on.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can just drag from top when you open folders to create short cuts, very easy. The bottom scrolls very smooth with your finger or stylus. This would very nice in a car where you can use the finger to use the Aigo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you can see the screen how nice and clear it is. I compared this with my Nokia N800 fonts, pictures, and videos show up just as clear as the N800. Here I had the Aigo on brightness 3 and still very viewable indoors. Outdoors is not viewable in direct sun but you can view it if you have some kind of shade. The Aigo includes the following programs:
My Financing Ė Canít use its Stock and Alipay all in Chinese sites, ( Iím sure you can add your own site)
Business Center- Mail Contact, Audio, Recorder, Dictionary (this is Chinese), ToDo, Photo Translate, Calendar, PDF Reader, and El Office 2007
Tools Ė File Manager (this explores whatís in the Aigo documents, Images, etcÖ) Calculator, SD Card (this lets you view whatís on the SD Card)
System Config Ė Connection (BT, Wi-Fi settings), Power Settings, Touch Screen, Language, Time Config, System Info, Theme, Sound Settings, and Connect to PC.
Internet Ė Coolfox Browser, itís based on Firefox and so far all websites display very nice and videos show up smoothly.
Communication Ė Pidgin IM, and QQ (Chinese IM)
Media Center Ė Video Player, Camera, Music, Ebook Reader, Photo Viewer, and PPLive.
Game Ė OurGame ( this is a Chinese game so most wonít be able to play it) Thatís the only game included not good for those that like games.
Naigation Ė GPS this is not working because there is no software to use the GPS in the device.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you can see the U810 and the Aigo going mobile. This gives you a idea that the screen is viewable outdoors.

[IMG][/IMG]

Outdoor view.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the desktop as you can see if you tap on those small icons it opens up your pictures. After you tap the icon, you have as a small thumb slide show, kind of like Vista has. The same happens if you tap on the other two. The screen brightness is at 1 in this picture and is very viewable. At this setting so far I have had the Aigo on, and browsing opening programs and Wi-Fi on only and itís at 60%. So far it has been on for 2hrs and 40 minutes.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Aigo P8860 Over view

[IMG][/IMG]

Comparing Aigo to the U810 and Nokia N800

[IMG][/IMG]

Side view with U810 and P8860.

[IMG][/IMG]

Many have stated that without a toggle or some type of D-Pad to scroll on the bezel that it would be hard to use on web pages. Maybe they could have of added D-Pad something like the Nokia N800 on the left hand side. I can say I also thought this would be a problem, but if you hold the Aigo like above. You can comfortable use the keyboard to page up, down, side to side and having your thumbs like this you can also access the ďFNĒ and Pg down, up, home, and end. This also gives you access to tap on the screen and be able to use the keyboard with no problem. The keyboard keys are little hard to press it reminds me of when I had a Sprint PPC-6700 Mobile Phone. You wonít be writing a novel on this keyboard but this device wasnít meant to be used for that. The built in camera is not that great but might work good for video calls. I havenít tried to use any of the IM programs to see if the camera can be used for video chat.

[IMG][/IMG]

If you donít want to have the slider open you can also scroll web pages with your finger very easy with no problem. Here I have scrolled the webpage so that why it looks blurry. One thing the smart key which is the round silver circle is very sensitive. If you hold the device at the ends and all it takes is your finger to swipe the circle and activates the box for the brightness, Task Manager, Connection Manager, and to power off the unit. I have got use to it so itís not a big deal for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you can see if you swipe your finger on the Smart Key it lights up Blue and the Blue light on the top is when Wi-Fi is on. Underneath a green light shows to let you know the device is powered up and flashes when in Standby.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the Bluetooth showing my U810, Blackberry Curve, and Logitech MX900 mouse. I had the mouse working. I still havenít been able to get the Blackberry setup with the BT DUN on the Aigo. I'm going to try one of my BT keyboards and see if it sets up just as easy as the mouse.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Tech Addict

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Stylus is located at top.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the GPS external antenna hook up and also the top is the blue light when Wi-Fi is on. The bottom lights up green when the device is powered on.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the top is the camera button, headphone jack, USB, volume control, microSD slot (came with 2GB card), and microUSB.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Addict

[IMG][/IMG]

The case it comes with is very nice, the P8860 fits nicely in it.

[IMG][/IMG]

View of the back of the P8860.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the speaker on the left. The sound is good for having a mono speaker.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

Wow great stuff. Everything looks nice. Now you should try install Windows on it
Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Zealot

Terrific, in-depth review.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks glad it was usefull. Actually I really want to install XP on this device because then I can have a pocketable device when I don't want to bring along my U810 with me.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Zealot

Fantastic, ElCamino! Thanks for putting that together for us. The MID looks very nice indeed. Your model doesn't have 3G, right? I wonder if the Gigabyte M528 will be sold in a 3G-less configuration as well.

Does the BT support PAN too? Or DUN only?

BTW, when you paste the Photobucket IMG code into your post, you don't need to use the "insert image" option. That's what's causing the IMG tags to appear around your photos.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

@Jenn, no problem. I really like the Aigo, the more I use it. I like that its very quick in loading web pages compare to my N800 which I would take with me when I didn't want to bring the U810. This model doesn't come with the 3G, but I was hoping to use my BB with it to create a BT DUN to the Aigo and would just as mobile with it as my N800. I do believe that Aigo will have a CDMA 1x version because on the site it shows that on the P8880. I can see where the SIM should go for the 3G but its covered with a black plastic cover and doesn't seem that anything is underneath; but who knows maybe it is. I think I will open it up and see, but my Kohjinsha SC3 just arrived. It has Vista Ultimate and I'm going to do a backup and start to see how well it works. I have had it on for about 2 hrs and just opening up things and its very snappy compare to the U810.

As far as I can tell it only supports BT DUN and no PAN. I still haven't got it to work with my BB as BT DUN. This is why I really want to install XP, maybe this way I can have it work with BT DUN.

Thanks for the heads up on the IMG thing.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Zealot

Thumbs up Re: Aigo P8860 Over view

Very nice review, ElCamino and the Aigo sounds great for a lil' device...

Where did you buy it from?

How much was it?

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Curious

Hello ElCamino.
I am one question: it's possible to instal wine? This
Thank You
Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Curious

I received my Aigo MID on Friday (the seller drop the price to $660 on Saturday) . @ElCamino, when you use the MID, does the plastic case makes clicking noise? Especially in the middle of the battery cover, my MID makes plastic clicking noise when I pressed the middle of the battery cover, it's like there's some empty space inside the battery cover (the battery doesn't move). I believe the battery is not big enough to fill up all the space inside. It's like there's space between the battery and the battery cover. Gigabyte has a 3060mah battery where as Aigo uses 2700mah. Aigo's pre-production model use a 3060mah battery too. I will try to put a piece of paper inside between the battery and the cover to fill up the space and see if it still makes noise or not. The left side of the device something makes plastic clicking noise too (not the slider noise).

When compare to my Nokia N810 and Fujitsu U810, I think the Aigo MID plastic case feels cheap (makes noise). The plastic case is like those plastic goods you see in those 99cents store, just little bit better. When I push the battery cover out to install the battery, I was afraid that the cover might break. For a $700 device. I expected the case be better quality like those laptop plastic. This is just my opinion.

I really want to install win xp to the MID, since there's no drives for it. I will wait till gigabyte released all the drives. Wish the smart key be replaced by a Mouse moving button and there's a button utility program that I can set the Camera Shutter button to another function (Power on and off function).

As for video playing, the result is not good. I believe this is related to the lack of drives and the hardware cannot perform up to it's promised performance. Hope the intel chipset drive and video graphic drive can improve the hardware's performance.

ElCamino, please show us some pictures if you decided to open up your Aigo MID.

Overall, I like this device and it will be my daily device(replaced my Nokia N810). It will be a great device after Win XP is workable. I definitely want to buy an extent battery for this device.

Last edited by dkarale; 08-16-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

@ArchiMark thanks, glad you liked it. Yes its a nice device and think once I can get Win XP on it, it will be even better. I have been able to run Ubuntu on it, and working on the install of XP. I keep seeing some Aigo's with XP, so I think it will install.

I got it from this Ebay member http://cgi.ebay.com/Aigo-P8860-MID-U...d=p3286.c0.m14

The price is $659.99

@nadja I will give it a shot and post.

@dkarale, Congrats on your Aigo. Actually my Aigo feels very solid to me. The plastic is very durable, and I just checked my battery cover and doesn't flex at all or make noise. I pressed around my casing and no noise at all. Hmm... Nothing feels loose on my Aigo at all. Sorry to hear that your having some noise. Is this really bad? Hopefully not. I was lucky that my device came with 2 batteries so I can easly get 5 hrs on the road. I also have a N800 and a U810. I agree the N800 is well built, but I don't think the Aigo is that bad, and like that it has a bigger screen and faster then my N800 and still pocketable. I also recieved my Kohjinsha SC3 and I can really say this is a well built tablet compare to my U810. The U810 has more features around the screen but the quility of the SC3 is very good. How you like the case that came with the Aigo? I also want to install XP on it. Yes the video is basically like all the Atom with the same chipset that drivers aren't using the correct codec and using the hardware to play the videos correctly.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Curious

@ElCamino. The clicking noise from middle of the battery cover and sometimes on the left side of the MID when I press the keys is not that bad, just annoying. It's like when you are walking on a wood floor with cracking noise. I put 2 piece of papers (size of battery) between the battery cover and the battery. Now the clicking noise from the battery cover is gone. Except the left side clicking noise still exist. I believe it's the battery cover / case parts doesn't fit tight enough. It's like when you dissected a device and assembled again. Parts will not be as tight connected like the original. As for the Aigo case, I don't really like it, but I am using it until I can find a better replacement. the case is thin enough to put it into my pants pocket (not jeans) and protect the LCD and the back of the MID, of course it cannot protect the sides. So I cannot mix with keys and coins with the MID in it's case. Some PSP cases fit the MID, but they will make the MID not pocketable.

Since there's no screen protector available for the Aigo MID yet. I created a screen protector for my MID and it's very good. I have an extra screen protector for my U810 (5.6"). I took the LCD plastic cover from the Aigo MID and applied/matched on my U810 screen protector, then cut the 4.8" size. However, doing that requires alot of patient.

Did you install win xp on your MID? Where can I see more of that pictures on win xp installation? If you are able to install win xp to your MID, please show the steps of how. I heard install winxp to the aigo mid is not as easy as install like normal.

My aigo mid show my battery @99% even I fully charged my battery. Is yours showing 100%?

Here's a pic of my aigo mid and nokia n810..

http://www.geocities.com/dkarale3/DSC04027.JPG

Last edited by dkarale; 08-16-2008 at 10:48 PM.