Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Zealot

Default QDL Tool Success!!

AHHHHHH, Finally got 2.2!!! I have been trying to get this damn phone updated for hours and hours spread over weeks and weeks. Had so many issues, nothing every could get flashed, just always kicked me back to att 1.6.

I had very similar issues to the white streak (but not exactly). I finally was able to use the QDL tool, went DIRECTLY from stock att 1.6 up to official 2.2. After I got all the drivers loaded (onto my computer), it did all the work itself. Absolutely no fastboot, recovery, boot loop, nada. I'm going to work on a write up here to help others who either are too scared to use fastboot and go into recovery, or if your every stuck. Literally nothing i tried in fastboot worked, but this did the trick.

There is a guide, and i followed it exactly:
http://streakdroid.com/?page_id=92

My issue was with the adb drivers. Got on the irc channel and sorted those out with the help from Steve. So thats the part I'm going to write up, everything else i followed exactly in the guide. Time to get Steve's 1.4.6 now...

I saw the "January" word mentioned on streaksmart for the att release - I promised myself I wouldn't wait that long for this. Now, I've got froyo I can rub in my brothers face (he has the captivate on 2.1 )
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Zealot

Default Re: QDL Tool Success!!

Try this before following any steps below - should make things much easier now
http://forum.pocketables.net/showpos...&postcount=135

*** I've updated this post to try and incorporate some of the posts in the next several pages. Remember that everyones computers are different, if the instructions below don't work for you - experiment a little and don't be afraid to deviate from whats below. The best part about the QDL tool is that the hard work is done on your computer, and until you have the correct drivers installed it will not flash anything to your phone. Be sure to READ READ READ, you won't be able to breeze over the guides just once and flash it - know the guides and read them over a few times (just my 2 cents ) ***

If you have additional suggestions to add - please PM me and I'll update the post.

Ok - so follow the guide above. It walks you through how to get the QDL tool on you PC and how to install it and run it. I had no trouble doing that. Where i ran into issues was it would run, then time out on the 'wait for adb device...'

For the QDL tool to run successfully, the Qualcomm driver needs to be installed (which the link in the guide above will get you) and you must have the correct adb driver installed as well. I ran into issues because I had the wrong adb driver installed.

Below is how you can get the correct adb drivers installed. This is how to install on a 32 bit Win7 machine, and should probably apply to other versions of windows (but don't hold me to that ). Also, please keep in mind I am no expert, below is what worked for me. Nice thing is that all the work you need to do is on your pc - and its easy to fix those

[UPDATED] If you have an XP machine sitting around - use it. It seems to cooperate better. If you have a 64 bit version of windows, make sure you follow the guide on streakdroid for 64bit PCs.

As always, doing anything 'non-official' has its risks. This route seems to be the easiest and least 'risky' of the upgrade paths, but there is always a possibility something can go wrong.
1. With you streak on and booted up, make sure you enable debugging mode (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging). Plug it in to your computer. EDIT: This can also be done while your streak is in Fastboot Mode, and this may actually work better if you do leave it in fastboot mode AND have it connected to your computer

2. On your computer, navigate to your device manager.

3. If you see "Android 1.0" with an error sign under "Other Devices", skip to step 6.

4. If you see "Android Bootloader (or composite) Interface" under "Android Phone", right click on that driver and uninstall, check the option to remove all driver files in the next popup>> you will be prompted to restart. Unplug your streak and restart.

5. After you reboot, plug in your streak. When windows recognizes the device and you get the popup in the lower right corner, click and cancel the install. This should then show the "Android 1.0" with an error sign under "Other Devices". This is what you want. If you still have the driver under "Android Phone" you need to go through the uninstall process again.

5.1 [UPDATED] If your having trouble getting the driver to show as "Android 1.0" just click on the driver that pops up (whether that is 'Android Bootloader interface' OR 'Dell Streak') for your streak and skip to step 7. You may be able to just update the driver without having to uninstall it (this HAS worked for others... didn't for me)

6. Select the 'Android 1.0' driver under "Other Devices".

7. Right click and 'Update Driver'

8. Navigate to where you can Install from disk (Browse my computer >> let me pick >> install from disk)

9. Assuming you have a windows computer (Win7 in my case), navigate to the appropriate folder under "repairtool\QDLTool3rd_20101022_GAUSB1A130500\Driv er\Driver_Android_V0P3\Win7" and pick the "android_winusb.inf". You should go to the folder that corresponds to your version of windows.

10. After that driver installs, you should be good to go. (may take a few min to install the driver)

[Updated] No_Its_Not_An_IPAD did a GREAT writeup that walks you through how to install the qualcomm driver, adb driver, and then finally how to get steve's latest version So, if you're having issues outside of the adb driver - give this a go, he did a great job in capturing a lot of the "gotcha's" involved with this process. That is in post 45: http://forum.pocketables.net/showpos...2&postcount=45

That adb driver (and how to install it) was the key piece missing from the guide in my case. I tried to just update the driver under 'Android Phone' but only after i un-installed it and started from scratch that it worked. Hopefully this saves someone some time in the future with using the QDL tool. The tool took 184 seconds to take my 1.6 AT&T streak to official 2.2.

Now off to tweak my new 1.4.6 streak

Last edited by Kohawk09; 01-19-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Made it a bit more clear - hopefully :)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohawk09 View Post
Ok - so follow the guide above. It walks you through how to get the QDL tool on you PC and how to install it and run it. I had no trouble doing that. Where i ran into issues was it would run, then time out on the 'wait for adb device...'

This was because the wrong adb drivers were installed. I put my phone into debugging mode (this brings up the drivers for debugging aka the adb/fastboot drivers).
1. Navigate to your Device Manager.
2. Under 'Android Devices' you'll see the Android driver - if you get the adb error, you need to uninstall this driver (this will require a restart)
3. When you reboot, plug in your phone and you should now get the 'Android 1.0' under other devices.
4. Right click and 'Update Driver'
5. Navigate to where you can Install from disk (Browse my computer >> let me pick >> install from disk)
6. Assuming you have a windows computer (Win7 in my case), navigate to the appropriate folder under "repairtool\QDLTool3rd_20101022_GAUSB1A130500\Driv er\Driver_Android_V0P3\Win7" and pick the "android_winusb.inf"
7. After that driver installs, you should be good to go.

That driver (and how to install it) was the key piece missing from the guide. I tried to just update the driver under 'Android Phone' but only after i installed it and started from scratch that it worked. Hopefully this saves someone some time in the future with using the QDL tool. The tool took 184 seconds to take my 1.6 AT&T streak to official 2.2.

Now off to tweak my new 1.4.6 streak
Just to be clear, you started with AT&T 1.6, went to official 2.2 using the QDL Tool, then to Steve's 1.4.6?

Dumb question - the official 2.2 update is embedded in the QDL Tool?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Zealot

Yep.
- Started with stock AT&T 1.6 (6601 build), locked to AT&T.
- Only downloaded the QDL Tool folder from streakdroid (yep, it has absolutely everything in there you need, official 2.2 is embedded - not a dumb question )
- After it ran for a few minutes, phone rebooted and up came official 2.2
- Flashed the alt clockwork, put steve's latest on my sd card (which is 1.4.6, didn't rename)
- Went through the clockwork menus to select that zip package
- Selected reboot from clockwork menu
- After around 5 min, it booted up into 1.4.6

Everything that I can tell works so far (other than the bugs in the other threads, which I haven't run into other than the selecting ring tones one - but that doesn't mean they arn't there)
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Fan

I seem to be having an issue with the Qualcomm driver install. I follow the directions and instead of the automatic driver install failing, I see the brief "Qualcomm Device ..." installing, then it becomes a generic USB Input Device.

Read through the possible solutions on Modaco - I can't seem to turn off automatic driver updating on Win7 Home Premium to install the Qualcomm drivers. None of the proposed solutions seem to work.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Fan

kohawk09- I saw you yesterday in the chat trying to get it to work. I think I can now go and pick up that white streak i been thirsty to get..
Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Curious

let me clarify, you started with a "locked" at&t phone and got froyo running ?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Good news as I have doubts about my skills being sufficient to use other methods!
What about returning to 1.6 from this process if needed? Anyone know?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Obsessed

I keep thinking we need a wiki to put these instructions into, so that questions could result in an edited set of instructions which would get clearer over time.

At the least, it'd be nice if a couple of the best threads on installing DJ Steve's Froyo could be pinned so that all the new Streak users coming here could see them right away. Who is able to pin topics?

@delawaredrew... I know what you mean about going back to 1.6... I was really really worried about that before I installed DJ Steve's Froyo. Now that concern seems silly to me. I can't imagine Dell putting out a ROM better than DJ Steve or the rest of the developer community, if only because they have to be conservative, and I can't imagine wanting to go back to 1.6 itself (thought it was OK at the time, but now that I've tasted the other side... YUCK!) In any case, I feel sure that there must be some way back to stock 1.6, though I have lost all interest in bothering to find it.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
I seem to be having an issue with the Qualcomm driver install. I follow the directions and instead of the automatic driver install failing, I see the brief "Qualcomm Device ..." installing, then it becomes a generic USB Input Device.

Read through the possible solutions on Modaco - I can't seem to turn off automatic driver updating on Win7 Home Premium to install the Qualcomm drivers. None of the proposed solutions seem to work.
I'd recommend jumping onto irc chat this evening - I tried posting on modaco asking questions and also trying to research on there... in the end, got an answer in a matter of minutes by using the chat. I would think they could help you out...

http://searchirc.com/javachat.php?c=...p=NjY2Nw&n=NTk
Old 12-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by masp3392 View Post
let me clarify, you started with a "locked" at&t phone and got froyo running ?
Yes, it was AT&T sim locked. Baseband ended in 31. Never called for an unlock code.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawaredrew View Post
Good news as I have doubts about my skills being sufficient to use other methods!
What about returning to 1.6 from this process if needed? Anyone know?
I thought about this too - only reason I would go back if for warranty reasons. I am pretty sure the way back down to 1.6 is NOT going to be this easy. There are guides out there to get you there (from any of steves builds), but you have to go the traditional 'flash recovery img / flash rom' route... I just pray my screen stays intact hopefully my otterbox commuter will help with that aspect.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEhead View Post
kohawk09- I saw you yesterday in the chat trying to get it to work. I think I can now go and pick up that white streak i been thirsty to get..
Yep I'd say go for it - once you get the drivers (the QDL driver and the correct adb driver) installed your good to go. What I liked about this tool was, if you didn't have the right drivers, it wouldn't work and you would boot back up to whatever you were running before you attempted this. No worrying about getting stuck at the dell logo (although after it rebooted and said it installed successfully, that was a very long few minutes waiting for it to boot up )
Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Tech Curious

sucks because I have the white streak and i dont have the froyo update
Old 12-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by masp3392 View Post
sucks because I have the white streak and i dont have the froyo update
Well if you do a little research up front, and use this tool with the guide on streakdroid (this is the only way to update with a white streak) you can be staring at some froyo too