Launched just two years ago (making many learn how to install a 3rd party APK for the first time); Amazon Underground Actually Free is coming off the rails, with a quiet announcement today that the program is ending buried in the developer section.
It’s not all at once; but unless you’re on a Fire Tablet running the blessed FireOS, it’s definitely quicker than you would likely care for:
- May 31, 2017; no new application or game submissions from developers.
- Current applications in the program may be patched by the developer through 2019.
- On Android devices “Underground Actually Free” will stop working at the very vague time of “Summer 2017!“
- Applications you already have installed (time to backup your APKs) won’t self-destruct; but again will work as-is at least until 2019. Amazon makes no mention of whether Android users will get the same patches that Amazon’s own Fire Tablet users will get or not!
- On a Fire Tablet the Underground Actually Free program will continue through the end of 2019; though with no new applications after May 31st.
So if you want to grab any applications right now you can grab Amazon Underground here.