A short conversation with Paul from Pocketables and the fact that Fingbox just slashed the price down has inspired me to write this short follow up. Paul has created an internet black hole by connecting a router (WNDR4300) to his network, essentially killing the local networking altogether. That’s something Fingbox can actually do albeit intentionally, and with an authorised press of the button. While Paul is struggling with a firmware update, let me talk about Fingbox for a bit.
Edit: Paul is online again! Unlike Google+, he is not going away.
If you are not aware, Fingbox is the ultimate internet toolset. It’s a nice PR catchphrase, but it does descript the hockey puck-shaped device. You can read my hands on review of the Fingbox here. Bear in mind that the firmware and the app went through a lot of changes since, making it even more awesome. If you don’t want to go through the entire review, let me tease you with couple of life improving features that Fingbox can provide you with:
- see who is home (devices online assigned to users)
- block devices from internet & LAN
- get detailed info about each device (no more IP and MAC typing character by character)
- map your local network
- get a notification when a device gets online, or new device joins the network
- stalk your neighbours (see devices in WiFi range)
- see the signal strength of each device
- schedule homework time, even for devices without parental controls
- monitor ISP internet speed, get alerts, charts and internet outages notifications
- and more… (seriously there is more)
All this just got cheaper too! When the Fingbox launched, the initial price was $129.99 now you can enjoy even more functionality for €! Regular price is $99, but I’m super nice, and Fing people recognised this with a $10/€10 discount. I do get a small cut for every unit sold, but I need to eat, and I would never agree to back something I don’t enjoy using. If you want to knock the price down from $99 to $89 (€99 & £99) and make sure I’m fed use the links and code below:
NOTENOUGHTECH = -$/£/€10 OFF
Whether you are working on your next IoT project, or just want to get your kids to actually do their homework on time – Fingbox is there to help you. Trust me, I know much worse ways of spending $89!